Health policy Renewal health insurance - help with deciding policy

Health policy

becky

My health insurance is due for renewal. My current is VHI Company plan plus 1.3. I'm happy with the plan as I get 50% off GPs, Consultants and Podiatrists etc and have used it but wondering if there is better value. I live in Galway, age 52.

I looked at the health site but am getting numerous options.

Hi becky,

Would have to say its a good plan and the cover does seem good. You would appear to be paying €1,326.31 which is expensive enough but they did have an increase from 1st March, 2023.

There are some previous discussion on AAM about that plan but they date back to 2020 and as some of the plans will have changed since then it may not be relevant.

Hopefully some of our knowledgeable health insurance experts might drop by and give you up-to-date info :)

Hello becky,

What did you end up going with, if you don't mind me asking, please ?

I'm in a similar situation to the one that you were in, hence the question.

Many thanks,

Hello becky,

What did you end up going with, if you don't mind me asking, please ?

I'm in a similar situation to the one that you were in, hence the question.

Many thanks,
Hello, no . I tried ringing once and was interrupted. Dermot Goode said to ring and ask if they have a similar / comparable plan that's cheaper. They are apparently obliged to tell you.

I'll hopefully do it Monday.

Thanks Sue Ellen. I think I'll probably stay as Dermot Goode recommended it in the last few months. It's a decent plan.

I've got a good bit of value in the last year from having to go the GP a few times, a Consultant, a procedure in the Galway Clinic and a DEXA in the the Bons.

Even better I went to a podiatrist. I paid €60, so got €30 back. One of the the best pedicure I ever had. OK, I had to paint my own toe nails. But it was way better than a beauty saloon pedicure.

Last edited:
Nope, although Mrs Earl has the same policy, so she may see it as fundamental!

Actually, that does raise an important point - Mr and Mrs Earl have traditionally always had the same policy, but do they really need the same policy, given men and women can have some different health concerns etc?

I fear this task has just become even more difficult :(

Actually, that does raise an important point - Mr and Mrs Earl have traditionally always had the same policy, but do they really need the same policy, given men and women can have some different health concerns etc?

Myself and JR have had separate policies for many years brought about by necessity for salary deduction purposes. This year I took a policy with 75% return on day-to-day expenses because I had a lot of medical appointments coming up. VHI confirmed that since last December the cover on that aspect kicks in immediately as compared to the upgrade rule on other cover.

Two people can have separate cover on the one policy.

Back