Health Insurance Renewal advice

Daffodils

hi snowyb

My parents health insurance is up for renewal on 20 Jan. They are currently on Health Plan 05 with Irish Life. Would PMI 44 16 be a good alternative if day-to-day cover wasn't important?

Do you know how long the waiting period would be for the increase in benefit for full cover for private room in a private hospital?

Also my health insurance is due for renewal on 15 Jan, I'm on PMI 41 15 and husband is on the One plan. Would PMI 43 16 be a good alternative for both or is there any obvious drop in cover I am missing?

Thanks for your help.

Daffodils,

The only difference between Health Plan 05 and PMI 44 16 is the inpatient and day case excess; (150 per admission or per day case PMI 44 16)
and (75 per admission or day case Health Plan 05). Otherwise its a very good plan, once they're ok with the higher excess and no day to day cover.
Huge savings to be made overall.
Regarding the extra cover for a private room in a private hospital, there would be a 2 year wait just in respect of any pre-existing illnesses.
New illnesses in the future will be covered straight away.
[broken link removed]

Alternative options similar to their current plan would be as follows; Note; price increases kick in from Jan 1 + 2 2017.
1. VHI PMI 35 13; price 1303; similar hospital cover, excess 100 per admission or day case.
2. VHI PMI 36 13; price 1349; similar hospital cover, excess 75 per admission or day case.
3. VHI PMI 41 15; price 1356; similar hospital cover, excess 75 inpatient and 50 per day case.
[broken link removed]

For yourselves PMI 43 16 is a very good alternative option, the only difference being the inpatient and day case excess 150/50 compared to 75/50,
and 150 to 125 with One + Plan. Hospital cover is the same as your current plans. Your husband will benefit from the extra day to day cover, not
on his plan at the moment. If he is under 50 yrs there is no wait for this extra cover. If over 50 yrs there is a 1 year wait.
VHI PMI 44 16 would be very similar to One + Plan just a slight excess difference and extra cover for a private room in a private hospital.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Daffodils,

I forgot to mention VHI PMI 43 16 would also be suitable for your parents, if they don't mind a 150 excess per private admission. Day case excess 50 per visit. Details as follows;

PMI 43 16; price 1136pa; same hospital cover as before, inpatient excess 150 on admission to private or hi-tech hospitals, day case excess 50 per visit. No excess applies to any public hospital. Day to day cover similar as before.

[broken link removed]

Snowyb

Back