Renewable system for new build

Duckndive

At the final stages of getting planning approved for new build house in west of Ireland. Its going to be a storey and half 5 bed house approx 2700 sq foot. Have to go with renewable system in order to meet regulations and BER certificates but wondering what peoples views are on Air to Water system or what would be the most cost effective system for me to install.

Also been told that I can't have open fire which herself is disappointed in but understand that in order to make property as airtight as possible we have to go down this route.

Have others opted for stoves as alternative for this or what are options available?

Am fairly new to all this so any help is much appreciated

Open fire is in my opinion always bad idea. apart from all the dirt and smoke (unavoidable), you also have suboptimal heat distribution.
There's brilliant stoves out there that take air also from the outside (so keep the property airtight), and use fans etc. to distribute the heat into the room properly.

I am personally not a fan of air-sourced heat pumps, but it might be appropriate for this climate. My preference would be ground source - either a nice 100m straight into the ground hole, or if you have enough land, the appropriate area for the piping. Main reason for me is that ground temperature in Ireland (a few meters below down that is) is constant around 11-13 degrees.

Can't help with the cost effectiveness, but there's a ton of information available from various manufacturers.

Regardless of regs go to town on insulation the best move you ever make is to keep a hold of the heat.

If you get close to passive house status with insulation where the activity in the house is pretty much enough to heat it then I would have thought PV would be the best bet to supply some of the electricity to meet the green requirement.

Back