Remarried-house in son's name-can wife claim?

S

soperjoe

when my wife died i remarried ,prior to this i signed our home to my son as well as most of my finances, just wondering in event of my death would my wife have any claim on the house or finances i gave my son, im married 3 years now,thanks in advance

Is your son married.
I hope that you realise that you son's wife now has a claim on half your house and if his marriage breaks up you may find yourself without a house.

Is your son married.
I hope that you realise that you son's wife now has a claim on half your house and if his marriage breaks up you may find yourself without a house.

As a matter of interest and I don't claim to know the answer, but if the OP had, before he married, legally transferred ownership of the house to his son, is he not now living in what is in effect a rent-free house which does not belong to him? On what then would his wife have a claim?

Hi SoperJoe and welcome to AAM,

It sounds to me like you should speak to your solicitor.

aj

my wife and i are living in rented house son lives alone ,its just that i was worried my wife might have a claim on his property in event of my death,though i signed the family home to my son before i remarried , thanks for replies

I agree with aj, talk to your solicitor.
I hope you don't mind me asking but if you feel that way about your wife why did you marry her?

Back