Reimporting a UK car previously registered in Ireland

dub_nerd

Hi, hoping someone can help me with this. A sibling is bringing a car back from the UK, previously registered in Ireland and brought to the UK by another sibling. The car is to be gifted from the UK sibling to the Irish sibling.

Three questions: I've definitely read somewhere that when reimporting a previously registered car that you can just re-tax the vehicle and switch back to original Irish reg plates, without VRT liability. Unfortunately I can't find where I read that, thought it was on a Revenue site. Does anyone else know?

The car will obviously have to be NCT'd again. There is a process for an NCTS inspection of an imported car, with the NCT centre also doing the Revenue VRT collection role. Would this car have to go through that same process even if only to confirm VRT exemption and get its NCT.

Revenue/NCT require proof of ownership. Since the ownership is going to be transferred, where does it make most sense to do this. In the UK before importing, or in Ireland after importing? Because it is between siblings, there isn't an issue doing either, just need to know which is likely to be more/less messy.

EDIT: I found the reference to reimporting a car: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/faqs-vrt.html#question47

It says to contact the Motor Tax Office. Anyone know what actually happens in this case?

Last edited:
Form RF111 - which can be downloaded from the Dept. of The Environment and Local Government.

I brought my car back February '14 (after registering it in the UK the previous August). I filled out the RF111 Form, brought it to the local Garda station to get it stamped and then called into my local tax office with the 12 Euros fee and received a copy of my original log book in the post 5 days later. The motor tax office attempted to charge me sizeable arrears, but I was able to provide proof of having it taxed in the UK and the arrears were waived.

The switch of ownership forms are also available from the Dept of The Environment and Local Government (AFAIK). I believe it would be easier to deal with switching ownership in Ireland. The DVLA are a nightmare to deal with in the UK.

Last edited:
Thanks a mil', epicaricacy. The UK sibling did report that the DVLA end of things was a nightmare on the way over. The only added complication compared to your scenario is that she won't be in Ireland for the re-registration and taxing. Any idea if that can be done with a letter of consent from her, or if the change of ownership can be effected at the same time as re-registering?

EDIT: On looking at this a bit more closely, I don't think the RF111 will suffice. (Thanks for the tip anyway, at least I now know it exists). The RF111 is really to show change of address (or other car particulars). In my case, the current owner isn't changing address, or moving back to Ireland, and the original log book would be no use because it has a different/wrong name on it. In that case I think the change of ownership might have to happen in the UK, then go through the UK certification of permanent export process, and then put the car through the Irish NCTS importation process. I'll check with the motor tax office and the NCTS and report back.

Last edited:
dub_nerd Id really appreciate if you could share how your sibling sorted out bringing the car back from UK in the end? I'm about to do the same thing next week..bringing back a UK registered car (gifted from my mother) that was previously registered in Ireland. Revenue confirmed it won't be subject to VRT but not sure when or where to transfer ownership

Back