Refurb with internal insulation: avoiding damp with air tightness

David_Dublin

Hi All,

We're planning a refurb of a 1920's house. It will include re-wire, internally insulating, internal because we're part red brick on end of terrace, though we may look to mix with external at the rear. We're also looking at replacing windows, and replacing suspended wooden with undefloor heating.

No we've started to think about MVHR, and I have read a lot about it including maybe looking to move towards air tightness as part of the overall options.

All this has led to reading scarey stories about damp behind the internal insulation. I've read about dew points, different materials to use/not to use, and my head is a bit frizzed.

Is there consensus (maybe naive to ask such a question on an internet forum) on how you internally insulate and definitively avoid damp forever. Is there added risk of dampness by putting airtight membrane in to increase airtightness? Would the decision to go with MVHR affect risk of damp at all?

It strikes me that with having to re-wire and internally insulate, we have potential to maybe substantially improve the performance of the house by spending a little bit more.

I know I am asking a lot of question, so I'd be as happy to receive recommendations on what professional(s) to talk to in order to make sure I am making the right decisions.

Back