Key Post Refund of Health Levy if you earned less than €26,000 in 2008

Hi

How does the employer calculate the Health Levy? Is the PRSI readjusted or is it a seperate entry/columnon the Tax Card?

I am currently doing wages and I am not sure as to where the 4% health comes into play. I also understand that the 1% levy increases to 2% also. This is straight forward but the health levy has me stumped.

Thanks for any input & help!

If the weekly gross wage is under €500, no health levy applies. From €501 up to €1446 per week health levy is 4% on the whole figure. Above that 5%.

PRSI contribution did not change but the ceiling above which it is not paid was increased.

Holders of medical cards, recipients of widow/er's pension are exempt from paying health levy.

Be aware that the Health levy is charged on 'reckonable pay'.

This is calculated as Gross pay (including the value of Benefit in kind) less any pension contributions/ Additional Voluntary Contributions/ PRSA payments which are shown on the employees payslip. So, for example, if the gross pay for the month is 3000 but the employee is paying €150 through his/her payroll, the Health Contribution would be charged on €2850 rather than the €3000.

I wrote a spreadsheet (available for free at taxcalc.eu/monthlyss/) which you might be interested in downloading- it allows you to calculate net pay for a week/fortnight/month. You need to enter the employee's tax data (tax credits, cut-off point and PRSI category- help is provided on the sheet [but you must you enable the macros for the help] as well as pay/BIK values and pension deductions if any) and it will compute the net pay for the period.

If you try it you can compare the results against data you know to be correct. If you have a query re using it feel free to email me at the address on the spreadsheet.

So does the health levy go in with the PRSI contribution? health contribution from 2% to 4% bringing the PRSI up to 8%?

How long does it take to process this refund in the experience of people who have gone for it?

My husband had the medical card from 1996 till March of 2009. He has been in the A1, Ax and AL classes over this time. He has worked for the same company since 1999. He never informed anyone that he had the medical card and we have only just found out that he should not have been paying the health levy. He sent in a refund application last week. I notice from your recent posting that the application can take 6 to 8 months for someone who earned less than €26,000 in 2008. Since my husband potentially has a ten year period of paying the health levy when he should'nt have does that mean that it could take even longer for him to get his refund? He sent them proof from the HSE that he has had the medical card for over ten years and all the info they required about his earnings.

Brendan

Do you know if the same applies for 2009? - my partner and I moved from Ireland to Holland midway through 2009 and although I earned in excess of 26K he did not so might be due a refund. Do you/anybody know what the criteria is for 2009?

Many thanks!
Lou

The €26000 threshold also applied in 2009 so he should be able to reclaim any Health Levy which he paid- see the first post for the reclaim procedure.

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know how far back you can claim on this?
I was earning under 26k in 2006....am i eligible to claim this?

Many Thanks,

Cat

Hi All,
Have a quiestion please regarding levy income for 2009, as i am a paye emloyee in 2009 from my gross salary was deducted 1% in january-april and 2% in may-december,
yesterday i received a letter from revenue that i am due to pay addition 1,67 % form total year salary, is there something i missed was changed rules in levy income payments ?

Thanks

wondering if anyone can enlighten me on the health levy refund please.

I was made redundant in late may 2010 at that point in time i had a gross salary of over 15,000 euro and had paid a health levy of approx 310 euro.

from last week may to september i was on jobseekers benefit of 196.00 per week.

and in september i started college and switched over to Back to Education allowance. at the 196.00 per week rate which became the 188.00 rate per week.

I am wondering do i qualify for a refund of the health levy as all the above came in under the 26,000 amount. I have the forms but they want employers stamps etc. not exactly on speaking terms with ex employer. but i will include p45 and health levy cert on ceasing employment.

I dont have a medical card only a gp visit so dont qualify for a refund that way.

any help appreciated a few bob refund at this moment in time would get a few bills paid tbh.

tks

neonitrix

I worked in Ireland until June 2008 and my salary should have put me above the threshold for this. I should be due a few hundred euro refund I reckon. Can I claim retrospectively? And does it still take 9 months to process?

I worked in Ireland until June 2008 and my salary should have put me above the threshold for this. I should be due a few hundred euro refund I reckon. Can I claim retrospectively? And does it still take 9 months to process?

Yes, and yes! :)

You want to be below the threshold.. not above it. Is that what you meant?

Back