redundant from paye job

C

crackle

Hi, ive been made redundant from my paye job, im also registered as a sole trader with the tax office and make a small amount from this on the side, when i say small i mean less than 10k a year less expenses. Can i sign on for social welfare or does the fact im registered as a sole trader even though the amount is small mean i am not entitled to? Thank you

Welcome to Askaboutmoney.

Read the Posting Guidelines and you are much more likely to get an answer to your question if you follow them.

This from www.welfare.ie:

"As a general rule, you will not get Jobseeker's Benefit for any day you are employed or self-employed. However, it is possible to do some subsidiary work and still get Jobseeker's Benefit for the day in question.
Subsidiary work is work that could have been done while you were in full-time employment and outside your normal working hours. For example, if your full-time work involved normal working hours 9 am to 5 pm, you might well be able to do subsidiary work from 8 pm to 11 pm and still get Jobseeker's Benefit for that day. If you normally did shift work or worked non-standard hours, such subsidiary work might not be possible. If the subsidiary work involved very late hours, the Department of Social and Family Affairs may take the view that you are not actually available for work the next day. If you already had subsidiary work while working full-time, you will find it easier to meet the requirements.
If you are offered or have subsidiary employment, you should always check with the Department of Social and Family Affairs (DSFA) to see whether or not your Jobseeker's Benefit will be affected.
If you have less than 117 paid PRSI contributions in the three years before becoming unemployed, you may not earn more than €12.70 a day from subsidiary employment. There is no earnings limit if you have more than 117 paid PRSI contributions."

Back