redundancy package

With the recent publicity about claims for massive redundancy packages, multiple times the industry norm and the statutory requirement, we are now sending a second very public message to prospective multinationals when making a decision to locate here.

1) Wages and costs of doing business here are way out of line with other developed economies
2) Exit costs are also out of line.

Can we come up with a few more reasons to really ensure no multinational ever locates here again.

The profit history of the company is not relevant nor the grants they received. You will also probably find that the profits of over a billion that you refer to had little input from workers here. Profits are moved around to avail of incentives put forward by the Govt. The same profits could be made in a number of locations without these crazy claims for redundancy.

This country and its people at top, middle, and bottom levels need to wake up to a few realities. There are no more 500+ employee multinational companies coming here and those that are here will continue to leave as the advantage of our tax system will be eroded by higher costs and tax systems of other countries that are getting closer to ours. The quality of our graduates is falling relative to other countries because we have a heap of people with general degress in business but little or no quality scientists/engineers who can generate new ideas.

I sometimes think this attitude of ours developed when we won and drew a couple of international soccer and rugby games and thought "you'll never beat the Irish"
We topped it off by insulting our European neighbours and making a laughing stock of ourselves by sending a puppet to the Eurovision.
I guess a lot of these people looking for their enhanced redundancy rights are the same poeple who thought it was great crack to send Dustin.

Thomas Cook has been losing money for at least the past 5 years running. There's a reason they are letting people go. But don't let that get in the way of your "analysis".

I'm not sure what you point is. I don't know what company the OP works for.

Currently a lot of companies are experiencing difficulties hence the many redundancies worldwide. A company must make profits in order to survive. In the example of Thomas Cook, I don't know much about them but they've existed for a long time so they must have been making profits somewhere.

Fact is even if you get the P45 you will no starve and life out in the real world is not as hard as you think. Try use the time before you find out to look at what you could do. education if you can fast retrain if needed and a job hunt after christmas so the tax man does not get you if you have too.

Good luck in WW41 :)

Given the fact that the CEO got a €7m bonus this year and a 34% pay rise, I actually don't have a problem with them looking for an increased redudancy package

Oh come on. You can't compare the wages of workers to the earning of a CEO.

6 weeks is great guys..I use to work for that same multi national and the benefits and that package is far better that most other companies in Ireland..and the pay. My current company had forced redundancy and have 1 week plus stat.. yes I said 1 week..!! I wasent picked thank god..them idiots in Thomas cook should cop on to reality..

I agree. That whole TC farce sickened me. One worker was offered E109,000 and refused it to fight for more!!!

6 weeks is a generous package but you'd be a fool not to fight for every last penny you think you might be able to get, especially the way things are at the moment. Keep up the fight OP and you use the most rediculous precedents you can get your hands on!

ontheup
I work for the same company and am leaving soon (I took a voluntary redundancy recently). I think the package they are offering is very good. You left out a few bits such as - vhi for you and your family paid till next renewal in April '10, college vouchers (I heard up to €7500 but i am open to correction there), an offer to maintain your 150k 'death in service' benefit for about €400 p.a., & interview coaching sessions. Your 2 pensions will also be looked after for you -one them is defined benefit, something you should think about when assessing the wage levels there. If you were unhappy for many years about the money, then why stay through the 'good times'? No-one nailed your hands to the desk.
I agree the company makes savage money, but that's capitalism for you. I don't know if they've decided who's being let go yet, and wish you the best on that front. I do tire though of hearing people moan about the place. Theres been no wage cuts (I got a raise April last year), there's paid maternity leave, up to 3 days uncerted sick (ie a week if you're on shift), and for the most part, a relaxed enough attitude. A good few people onsite have taken all this for granted tho and don't feel they need to even pretend they're working. - for one thing, in the bullpens, where you were given a verbal warning for playing solitaire in the past- you now see lads wearing headphones watching illegal streamed movies, or playing games for literally hours. If you ran a company and that was going on would you feel bad for letting people go?

Last edited:
My husband has worked for a small company for the past 24yrs, they have offered him redundancy - statuatory nothing more. Is it possible for him to look for more? There is no union, pension, health insurance. We have a very young family and a hefty mortgage sorry for waffling still in shock.

Our company gave 4 weeks plus statutory.
And sent you home for a months "gardening leave"

So that was a months wage and you didn't have to show up.
And things like you keep your Quinn healthcare until renewal. And if you got money for study and courses, no need to pay it back.

Was voluntary but they ended up selected people as so few came forward to take it

At the time nobody wanted it, now I'd say such a package would never be offered again

Thats a great package. i was let go from an American Mutil N. and only got statutory.. no extra payments etc... admittedly this was in 2006.

Back