Redundancy money and bankruptcy

Dmg11234

Hi, Steve has helped me before here and I'm hoping he or anyone could advise me on this

Long story short, my partner and co-owner of my house died 18 months ago and as he had let his life insurance policy lapse I was landed with a massive mortgage with an income a lot less than his was. The mortgage has been frozen ever since but the bank are coming down hard now. I have decided to surrender the house to the bank and move to the UK to file for bankruptcy. I am in negative equity of about 60k.

My question is about redundancy. I have been made redundant from my job at the end of August (without redundancy payment). I will need to apply to the state for this redundancy payment which can take up to a year to come through. I move to the UK a month from now and need to be there 6 months before filing for bankruptcy. I am wondering, if my redundancy cheque comes through after I've filed for bankruptcy, will I see a penny of it? Or will it all go to my creditor? I expect about €8k. And if it comes through before I file for bankruptcy and I spend it, will that look really bad on me when the time comes to file?

Thanks

Back