Reconnection fee for electricity in a commercial premises

Banjo12

I recently rented a property,signed a 5 year lease and applied for planning permission.The permission has been granted so it's time to start work,I applied to have electricity turned on only to be told there's an 1800 reconnection fee .Am I responsible for this or is it the landlords duty to have electricity to the unit

No it's not a residential unit,it was an old office that I'm putting a fast food restaurant in

Last edited:
What does your lease say? Did you take a meter reading when you took over the property to agree where your bills start from? Did you check if rates etc. are paid up to date?

Everything is clear as far as utilities are concerned,the problem is that if a place is disconnected for more than two years it's goes from a standard reconnection which is around 300 Euro to a new connection which is 1800.If you rent a premises would you not be right in presuming that all services would be there.

As in its up to me to pay the reconnection fee or its up to me to make sure services are there.

Quite standard and always responsibility of tenant. But check with your electrician - sometimes they know the right person who can get around this if its not much past 2 years.

Also you may require 30kva + so make sure your electrician gives all the load factors.

Over 30kva also means a higher standing charge.

Back