Recommend Budgeting Software

lollipop

Not sure if this was the right place to put this! Feel free to move if not.

Wondering if anyone can recommend their budgeting software? I previously used YNAB but its turned into a subscription based service which I am not interested in. It was useful for us both to track our spending via the app. Is anyone aware of a similar product or just what works well for you? Thanks in advance

Not sure if this was the right place to put this! Feel free to move if not.

Wondering if anyone can recommend their budgeting software? I previously used YNAB but its turned into a subscription based service which I am not interested in. It was useful for us both to track our spending via the app. Is anyone aware of a similar product or just what works well for you? Thanks in advance

This is a YNAB clone, web based but currently free for life if you sign up now during its beta.

https://www.everypocket.com/

Also has an android app.

Not the easiest thing in the world to log your spending as it happens in real time or plan changes to your budget in real time if you need to fire up a PC and open Excel...Not to mention it costs money to buy Excel..

@ivannomonet Microsoft's products including Excel are free (but big) to install on your phone, phablet or tablet and their Office Lens app, also free, allows scanning of transitions (receipts) in real time to capture data at source. You carry your budget and your transaction capture capability around with you and the new shopping process become ingrained as quickly as using cards to pay.

Other possibilities are to design & use a custom FileMaker Go solution to capture & categorise expenditure transactions as they happen.

In either of the above scenarios, back at base you can download or sync transactions with something like GnuCash, also free, to do further allocation / categorisation / analysis or reporting on your PC/Mac. A word of warning though: GnuCash works as a double entry accounting system and is not for the feint-hearted, but if you want to track investment performance etc or run a small business, applications don't come any better or more cost-effective than this. If you want to check GnuCash, download the documentation before you commit time to the application. If the docs don't make sense or the various wikis don't help then the software is not for you.

There are lots of templates for Numbers, Excel, Filemaker, or the free office suites (LibreOffice, OpenOffice, NeoOffice, etc.) knocking around out there in internet-land.

HTH

edit: FileMaker Go for phones & tablets is free, FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Advance for your PC/Mac are not.

Don't get hung up on the technology though and don't make being non-techie an excuse not to budget. Use used envelopes to budget. Write your budget amount and budget category for expenditure on the outside, pop the receipts for that category in at the end of each day and total and compare budget vs actual weekly. What could be simpler?

Last edited:
Back