Recommend best way of extending wifi to garden

lollipop

Just got a new shed/garden room built and wondering best way to extend the wifi to it. I'm thinking a Powerline adapter with wifi extender also built in. Any recommendations? The signal doesn't have far to go but it has to get through an internal wall, external wall and then shed (insulated) wall. Thanks!

In order of efficacity
  1. Ethernet cable with Wifi extender on the end in the shed
  2. Powerline adapter
  3. Wifi extender

I'd second the first two suggestions above. I avoid wireless as much as possible these days and prefer wired/powerline other than where wifi is unavoidable (e.g. phones and other wifi only devices).

Those that really need wifi extenders night be able to reuse the many wifi modem/routers that become surplus to requirements when switching between ISPs over the years. Half of the IT gear that I use daily was pulled from various WEEE cages! :D

Last edited:
Did this recently with a friend for his new garden room. Ran Cat 6 cable (we used shielded but it wasn't essential) in Kopex conduit. Planted it about 6" deep at the back of flower beds running from the house to the garden room. At the house end, the cable is plugged directly into a router, and at the garden end there is a switch for wired devices and a WiFi Mesh Extender - TP-Link X20.

I tried a couple of powerline adaptors to my garage and they just weren't able to establish a connection. The garage is wired on a separate circuit and has it's own distribution box. So try before you buy would be my recommendation if considering that path.

@lollipop - as what is mentioned above, running a hard cable is the best solution, but it does depend on your circumstances, e.g. able to run pysical cables from the router directly out to the shed / are you able to wire it up yourself or know someone who can (MUCH easier than you think) / purchasing the correct equipment / etc.

There isn't much to it if you want to put in a pysical cable - if you have wired a plug in the past, it's not a huge step up from that to wiring a network cable. It should be at least cat5e (can support speeds up to 1Gb), but if you are doing it, then use cat6 / cat7 (to future proof it). A simple crimping set like this one is a must have, some connectors / network port for the wall, plug. There is SO much info online on how to do this and your situation, there are multiple ways to do it.

All the above might be double dutch to you or maybe not - but honestly, there isn't much to it. Loads of people on this site will have experience and can guide you if you need help. The hardest part will be getting a cable from the router to the shed. Once you have a cable out there, then you can set up multiple connections for a computer / TV / smart devices etc.

The links I've referenced above as just examples and a place I've purchased in the past from when I was doing it in my own home - I would highly recommend them - very satisfied customer.

Edit - might be better purchasing an outdoor type cable like this cat6

Last edited:
Back