RAS tenant not paying rent

the council sound sort of irrational in their behaviour

I really cant believe what I am reading in this thread.

The Council seem to be doing the right thing here and being responsible. The "tenants" are living in accommodation free of charge and owe €5000 in back money and the Council want to put an end to it.

Get these people out now before the Council pull the plug on you, and they will.

lopin. How long have you left on your RAS contract with Wexford Co. Co.?.
In relation to PRTB giving you a written opinion on your type of situation. I cannot see this happening.
Personally I cannot see from what you have quoted from your contract with Wexford Co Co in relation to the Tenants Obligation to the council as being in line with the Tenant / Landlord legislation. The PRTB will examine your case from the legislation if ever have to rule on your case.
The Council have a habit of thinking their internal policy over rides legislation which it does not.
Ask the Council have they sought a legal opinion on what they are asking you to do and if so would they give you a copy of the opinion they sought and the opinion they got.
If it was my situation I would be hoping to get to the end of the contract and give notice in advance to both sides that I would not be renewing or extending the contract.

Last edited:
Hi Dermot.

It was a 3 year contract which ended at the end of September 2013

If it was my situation I would be hoping to get to the end of the contract and give notice in advance to both sides that I would not be renewing or extending the contract.

Well now we know contract has ended, so what can happen now. Council stop paying Lopin, and tenant refuses to move. Based on the tenant no paying the council, I could very well see this happening.

If contract has ended then Lopin has a way out, as she can presumably validly terminate the lease. It now does not have to be on the grounds that the council are not being paid, the PRTB already told her this was not a valid reason, but maybe she didn't tell them the lease had ended.

Agree with you Bronte. We were contributing to this thread where a vital piece of information was not available to us ie " It was a 3 year contract which ended at the end of September 2013"

Agree with you Bronte. We were contributing to this thread where a vital piece of information was not available to us ie " It was a 3 year contract which ended at the end of September 2013"

3 pages of posts and a major part of the story undisclosed.

A jigsaw with most of the pieces missing.

Wheres the throwing your hat at it smiley.

Unbelievable, I agree, another poster did the same yesterday in relation to a will.

I think the OP should be at red alert. The council could pull the plug on his payments at any stage IMO. Then he's got proven squatters to deal with himself.

Pretty standard stuff. I would not make a big issue of the request from the council. Stay well clear - its really none of your business. I would tell the tenant what the council asked you to do - tell them your take on it - most important thing for you is to keep the tenant sweet. They will more likely look after your property if they think you are helping them in any way.

Council will REGULARLY tell a Landlord stories about tenants, warn landlords to NOT rent to certain tenants (for example if the tenant is currently living in one county, but tries to move into your county and claim RAS - council ALWAYS try to discourage this as it adds one to their list. They dont give a MONKEYS about you or your tenant. Fact.)
But if a landlord wants to know something about a tenant, the council will not tell you - Data protection etc.

RAS Tenant finally vacated. Can anyone advise me on how long the council will keep paying the rent

What did the contract between you and the Co. Co. state. You need to be specific in relation to.

Length of time.

Was it for the rental of the house for a specific time.

Was it for the duration of that particular tenants tenancy.

I have not re read this post but there must be correspondence between yourself and the Co. Co. during this tenancy. What does this say.

You need to give precise details of the contract in your post in order to get an answer.

Hi Dermot,

The contract was for 3 years ending Sept 2013

I was instructed by the council to evict tenant as they were not paying there portion of rent to RAS

RAS have been paying me the rent all along so I was not in any hurry to evict

I have not got a chance to inspect the house to what type of condition it is in, but I am not optmistic about the outcome.

I presume they will pay me for at least another month, maybe I am wrong

Did your tenant or the Co. Co. give you notice of the date that they were leaving. If so. When?.
I am not 100% sure of what notice you would be entitled to in the case of an overstay. There are a few posters on here that will give you the correct information on this.

Normally the Co. Co. have a clause in the contract/lease limiting the amount that they will be liable for damage on termination of the lease. You will need to be able to prove the damage caused by receipts and photographs in the event of a claim.
Following your tenant would appear to be a waste of time. What type of accommodation have they gone to.

I presume that you were paid on the 1st of each month in advance. Personally I would notify the Co. Co. inside the next couple of weeks and in the meantime get the property ready for letting and let as soon as possible. Get someone out from the Co. Co. to inspect the damage immediately.
You would be expected to do this anyway.

Last edited:
No notice was given from Co Co or tenant.

The tenant handed the keys back to the Co Co, that is where I got the information the tenant had vacated.

I know the Co Co will pay up to 1 months rent for damage.

Rent was always paid on the last Monday of the month so is not due until 27th of May

I agree its a waste of time following the tenant for damages.

I dont know what type of accommodation tenant have move to.

When did the tenant leave, when did the co co inform you. You don't have to tell the co co anything, they know the tenant has left.

That's interesting RAS guarantees you 3 years rent, tenant or no tenant, and will give you one months rent for damage if necessary.

Why did the tenant leave? Did you have to do anything, take any action etc. Can you tell us your dealings with the co co since October of last year.

Would you recommend RAS to others.

I'm surprised you haven't already been over to the property to inspect the damage.

Hi Bronte,

The tenants went to the Co Co yesterday and gave back the keys, that was the first I knew the property had been vacated.

As I am out of the country on holidays it was impossible for me to see the property, however one of my family will be checking it out on Friday.

I had issued 14 & 28 day notices to the tenants and was in the process of taking a case with the PRTB.

Would I recommend RAS, I also have a few other properties with RAS it was great during the downturn as I was guaranteed the rent coming in each month, however with rents on the increase i dont think I will be moving ahead with RAS in the future.

I have not been informed in writing from Co Co that the property has been vacated

I have a tenant who owe RAS over €5,000. RAS wants me to remove them from my house.

My question is
1. Why did RAS put a tenant like this into my property without doing a proper check?
2. If tenant with 3 children are evicted who will house them?
3. How difficult & how long will it to remove them from my property?
4. Will RAS continue paying rent while tenant is in my house?

Any advice welcome
We entered the RAS Scheme almost 5 years ago... County Council do not care about the landlord at all. Tenants destroy homes and have done a lot of damage to ours... We are in the middle of a process to get things sorted... But county council just want your house and YOU are left to deal with whoever they decide to put in there, irrelevant of their past history etc., PRTB are not much better and yes we are registered there too... It's all for the tenant and nothing for the landlord...
This may not answer your questions, but give you an insight of what you are up against.
County council should continue to pay the rent... It's in their contract with you... And they must pay up to one months rent of damages and after that you have to go through your insurance.. It's a cop out for the government...
County councils put people in houses and we the landlord have to deal with them... They could break three washing machines and you have to put a fourth in.. County council will tell you it's in the contract... Anyone not in it... DON'T.. very few are good tenants... I know a few... My hime has been destroyed... Because there is no deposit either... It will be hard to get money out of county council when my tenant leaves for damages... Not wear and tear... Pure damage ...
Good luck...

Pretty standard stuff. I would not make a big issue of the request from the council. Stay well clear - its really none of your business. I would tell the tenant what the council asked you to do - tell them your take on it - most important thing for you is to keep the tenant sweet. They will more likely look after your property if they think you are helping them in any way.

Council will REGULARLY tell a Landlord stories about tenants, warn landlords to NOT rent to certain tenants (for example if the tenant is currently living in one county, but tries to move into your county and claim RAS - council ALWAYS try to discourage this as it adds one to their list. They dont give a MONKEYS about you or your tenant. Fact.)
Agree totally.. Keep tenant sweet.. Cc don't care about tenant or landlord.. Just want your property... Any issues, they go hiding... And leave you to deal with... Cc are a disgrace... But while you have a contract they must pay you... Anyone know what happens when you don't have a contract or contract comes to an end... Is the landlord left to get rent out of the tenant ???????

I really cant believe what I am reading in this thread.

The Council seem to be doing the right thing here and being responsible. The "tenants" are living in accommodation free of charge and owe €5000 in back money and the Council want to put an end to it.

Get these people out now before the Council pull the plug on you, and they will.
Couldn't agree more... Cc will run... You'll be left with them... Get them OUT

Back