Question on Jobseekers Allowance for two adults.

Z

zooned

Ok, I am a bit confused about signing on for Jobseekers Allowance.
I am a self employed sole trader in a business related to the construction industry. I employ my wife as an administrator in the business.
Over the last 12 months or so work has steadily dryed up and I have come to the point where I must sign on for Jobseekers allowance as there is no money coming in.
Obviously this will mean my wife will be unemployed as well.
My question is, do we both sign on individually for jobseekers allowance or does one of us sign on and then claim for the other as a qualified adult.
We also have two children under five. I presume there is some allowance for this.
I know it will be means tested but as we currently have no means I don't see much of a problem.
Thanks for any replys.

Re: Ouestion on Jobseekers Allowance for two adults.

If both of you are seeking work, then you can both sign on.

If one or both of you qualify for Jobseeker's Allowance (which as you rightly said is means-tested), and if you both sign on, the total amount of money paid can't exceed what would be paid for a family with 2 children - so there is no financial gain in both of you signing on.

If both of you sign, both of you may get PRSI credits, which may count later in life for pensions, etc. If you claim for your wife as a qualified adult (or vice versa), only the person signing may get credits.

Back