Public Service Retirement Scheme Feb 2012

STEINER

Obviously this scheme ended back in February. I was shocked while visiting relatives today when they told me a story which illustrates how flawed this scheme is. There are 4 primary schools in the area. The long serving principal and vice-principal retired early from primary school 1, big spread in the local paper paying tributes to them etc. Hey presto, come this September the two of them are teaching full-time in primary school 2. It is not even subbing, but full time teaching.

I understand there are many unemployed people and among them many unemployed young teachers. These two particular teachers perfectly illustrate, due to them receiving pensions and salary, how ridiculous a place Ireland can be.

The teachers will not be in receipt of full salary in addition to their pension, there is a cap on their earnings & pension combined. In total, they cannot earn more than they received prior to retirement.

Obviously this scheme ended back in February. I was shocked while visiting relatives today when they told me a story which illustrates how flawed this scheme is. There are 4 primary schools in the area. The long serving principal and vice-principal retired early from primary school 1, big spread in the local paper paying tributes to them etc. Hey presto, come this September the two of them are teaching full-time in primary school 2. It is not even subbing, but full time teaching.

I understand there are many unemployed people and among them many unemployed young teachers. These two particular teachers perfectly illustrate, due to them receiving pensions and salary, how ridiculous a place Ireland can be.

It is possible that both took early retirement outside of the scheme to which you refer. In such a case, their pension and lumpsum would be reduced depending on age. They would then be free to take up other public sector employment but, as pointed out, total remuneration may not exceed prior salary, so they in effect receive their previous salary for much lower responsibilities! Sticks in the craw but quite possible and legal.

Last edited:

When you say 'full time' - do you mean that these are permanent, full-time posts, recruited through open competition in the normal way? Or are these retired staff providing temporary cover, such as maternity cover?

If you'd like to name the school in question, it will be easy enough to verify this. All teacher recruitment is done in the public domain, so you won't be breaching any confidentiality.

The scheme was completely flawed as it allowed anyone that wished to retire to do so, so there was no control to keep services going where they were needed.

Thats the reason that in exceptional circumstances people that retired in feb could be taken back which seems like the two

There is a condition in the earlier incentivised schemes that prevented the retire from taking up any post in the Public Service for a period of 5 yrs. The Feb 2012 scheme is really not a scheme at all. It was a Statutory Instrument signed in 2010 that allowed Public Servants, who were of pensionable age (over 60) to retire with the benefit of getting their Lump Sum calculated on their 2008 rate of salary.
I agree totally that Retired Teachers returning to teach again, in any form, is disgraceful. There are thousands of young teachers who graduated since 2008, who cannot get a job. Though, in fairness, Ruari Quinn has put a stop to a lot of the nonsense about re-hiring retired teachers.

Back