Public Sector Bodies to which the definition of “Public Service Body” does NOT apply

ajapale

Bodies to which the definition of “Public Service Body” does not apply

1. Any body corporate established by Act of Parliament before 6 December 1922 that, upon its establishment, was of a commercial character.
2. Dublin Airport Authority, public limited company.
3. Cork Airport Authority, public limited company.
4. Shannon Airport Authority, public limited company.
5. Bord Gais Eireann.
6. Bord na gCon.
7. Bord na Mona.
8. CIE
9. Coillte Teoranta.
10. Electricity Supply Board.
11. Eirgrid.
12. A harbour Authority
13. Horse Racing Ireland.
14. Irish National Stud Company Limited.
15. Irish Aviation Authority.
16. An Post.
17. An Post National Lottery Company.
18. RTE
19. Teilifıs na Gaeilge.
20. Railway Procurement Agency.
21. Voluntary Health Insurance Board.
22. A subsidiary of a body to which this Schedule relates, including a subsidiary of any such subsidiary.

Re: Public Sector Bodies to which the definition of “Public Service Body” does NOT ap

Might have been easier to list those to which it does apply !! ;)

Re: Public Sector Bodies to which the definition of “Public Service Body” does NOT ap

It adds up to the guts of 50-60,000 workers - how does that affect the government sums on how much the public service pay cut will yield?

It adds up to the guts of 50-60,000 workers - how does that affect the government sums on how much the public service pay cut will yield?
The workers in this sector are not subject to the pension levy/pay cut , indeed the ESB received the 3.5% increase under the National Wage Agreement as indeed may have others in this sector.

That's correct. The companies mentioned in the OP are commercial companies which happen to be in state ownership. The employee pensions are not funded from the exchequer, hence the pension levy does not apply.

The employee pensions are not funded from the exchequer, hence the pension levy does not apply.

Yes, ..Its interesting to note that Ango Irish Bank is owned by the government but the employees are not public servants. I would argue however that they are part of the public sector.

While it is true that pensions in the state owned commercial sector make their own pension arrangement the state implicitly/explicitly guarantee some of these pension schemes. In the case of Irish Shipping and Irish Fertilisers employers pensioners had no such guarantee.

However there may be implicit/explicit state guarantees in the case of CIE or ESB.

These superannuation schemes were set up by statue in the 50's 60's and 70's and certainly there is the expectation among employees/pensioners that such schemes are state backed.

Absolutely - it will be interesting to see how the situation in Bord na Mona develops. Will the Govt step in? Maybe it has already - I haven't heard anything about it in recent days.

I know there was uproar among An Post pensioners a few years back when the company claimed inability to pay part of the national wage agreement and the pensioners did not get the consequential pension increase. I think in the end the increase was paid, but I'm open to correction on that.

Absolutely - it will be interesting to see how the situation in Bord na Mona develops. Will the Govt step in? Maybe it has already - I haven't heard anything about it in recent days.

I know there was uproar among An Post pensioners a few years back when the company claimed inability to pay part of the national wage agreement and the pensioners did not get the consequential pension increase. I think in the end the increase was paid, but I'm open to correction on that.

It is interesting to note that the BnM staff scheme is not index linked or wage linked in any way and pensioners have not got any increase in several of the last 10 years or so. Increases are at the sole discretion of the trustees.

The situation at An Post is slightly different as this organisation was once part of the civil service proper and pension arrangements were negotiated as part of the negotiations which set up the company as a plc.

These DB schemes suit employees with long service and relatively high retiring salaries. Employees with low basic earnings and short/fragmented service often fare little better than the COAP.

It is interesting to note that the BnM staff scheme is not index linked or wage linked in any way and pensioners have not got any increase in several of the last 10 years or so. Increases are at the sole discretion of the trustees.

That is interesting - I wasn't aware of it. You are a mine of information Ajapale!

It will be interesting to see how things develop in An Post in the future, with full market liberalisation pending. Will the company use this as an opportunity to change pension conditions for new employees, such as a higher minimum retirement age or a move to a defined contribution scheme. RTE introduced similar changes a few years ago and while they were resisted at first, I believe the company pushed ahead with a move to a defined contribution scheme.

mod bump as a result of similar question being posted in An Bord Snip forum.

Back