Protestant Catholic Wedding

Looking to get married soon , mixed marriage, anyone know anything about about the rules for a Protestant entry into the Catholic Church or an Orthodox Church in Dublin.

Been to a couple of them

Traditionally, if the Protestant is willing to sign over the kids to christened Catholic, then the Catholic chuurch will have no problem

I was at a wedding a few years ago, in a protestant church were they had both catholic and protestant priests
Two ceremonies in one

I think they are relaxing a bit and are not bothered as much any more

I done it the other way round and no quesitons asked at all
I married an Anglican but outside of Ireland or UK so eveyone was of the opinion that we were more or less the same religon

What would you get the kids to be?
We decided boys follow me, girls follow her
No family complaints then, no favourtism

I Like the logic with the boys and girls on the religon issue, to be honest I would insist that the kids are Catholic as the Mother is not a practising Protestant but i am very much a practising Catholic, she only has been practising since i brought the matter of marriage up. Defender of the Faith i like to say

I think it is usual in mixed religion marriages that the children be raised in the religion of the mother.

Hi,
Im a catholic and my wife is church of ireland.

Before we got married we went on a pre marriage course with Accord which has special courses for couples from different religions.
This course will address a lot of the issues you may have .
The people giving the course were from mixed marriages themsleves.
I'd recommend you do the course.

Jaysus i would have thought that raising the kids as different religions would be the worst case scenario....they will be totally confused in their youth and it would surely only serve to drive a wedge between them...i say go for one or the other 100%

We intend moving back to Barbados in a few years
Anglican or Catholic is not seen as different to any large extent

But if we were staying here your right we would probably have gobe for Catholic, even though I am not the slight bit religous

I had a grilfriend who was CoI and she hated having to leave class when religon started and other petty rubbish like that

I'm a Catholic who married a Protestant (presbyterian) in a Catholic church. The priest arranged everything and think it involved getting dispensation from the bishop for me to marry a non-catholic (think its quite a standard thing and the priest did n't make any big deal about it). My husband had to show proof that he was baptised.

I also had to promise to try (to the best of my ability) to bring any children we may have up as Catholics. I really don't know whether I'd bring them up as Catholics but did n't bother getting into that discussion with the priest.....We'll bring them up as Christians but can't say they will be of the Catholic tradition.

We had a marriage service with a Catholic priest in a Catholic church but omitted the Eucharist as I did n't want my husband and his family being ommited from any part of the cermony.
We went on a pre marriage course where my husband was given this book which was actually quite good.
[broken link removed]

90210 said:
Looking to get married soon , mixed marriage, anyone know anything about about the rules for a Protestant entry into the Catholic Church or an Orthodox Church in Dublin.

Does this mean that you haven't chosen a marriage partner yet but have at least narrowed it down to Catholic or Orthodox (which flavour?)?

Janeom thanks for that , much appreciated.

Clubman , I feel a touch of sour grapes coming from your comments. Why so ? ,Still on the shelf ? or planning on staying with Mummy for the longer term?

90210 said:
Clubman , I feel a touch of sour grapes coming from your comments.

Not at all - just curious about the phrasing of your original post and the uncertainty over the prospective partner's religious beliefs that it implied.

Why so ? ,Still on the shelf ? or planning on staying with Mummy for the longer term?

Meow! Who put sand in your you know what? But since you inquired I'm pleased to say that I'm happily married and out of the family home years now thanks very much. If you need any tips just ask.

Back