problems with new property - serious water ingress around windows

C

chancer

i recently bought a house and was within a week of closing on it when the rains of mid december put a damper on things. the wind and rain showed up a series of problems with the windows which has caused rain ingress all across the front of the property.

as a result, i have delayed closure on the house until such time as these problems have been fixed.

what are my options on what i can do to ensure that the rain damage doesn't re-occur and has been adequately fixed?

the builder has performed some remedial work on it and claims that the people who initially installed the windows broke the damp coursing when installing them.

that seems to me to be a fundamental error and one that is probably replicated all over the house :(? they have not investigated the windows at the side or behind the house for the same sort of damage, not that it is easy to do so.

any suggestions please?

ta.

I don't see how, or why, you would consider closing on the property given that the builder has admitted the damp coursing has been breached. This problem will not go away. Put any consideration that the property may have increased in value since you first put a booking deposit down, it is now worthless as you would not be able to resell whatsoever without considerable expenditure. Walk away and consider it a lucky escape.

how,

not that simple. I am already knee deep into this poperty i.e. deposit, kitchens, tiling etc. it is homebonded. should they be told?

get my engineer back on the job again?

I don't think that this problem is relevant to Homebond because (a) you don't yet own the property so are not covered by HB (i.e. you don't hold the HB47 (?) certificate) and (b) it's arguably not a "structural" issue which is what they deal with. Ultimately it's the responsibility of your builder to put things right before you close the purchase. Your solicitor should be advising you on what your options are.

Never heard of window installers breaking damproof course - more like it was never put in there in the first place! It would be in their interest that the windows did not leak - (did the builder fit the windows himself as well i wonder). Usually mastic is also put all around the edge of the window to help seal and then the plaster reveal covers this.

This property needs to be checked out big time, It might be worth looking for a thermostatic report to be done (to check out how the roof, insulation, windows, doors etc are preforming) think it is going to be regulation soon to have a rating on a house.

Get expert advise.

Sorry, its called a Thermographic Report and a company called Enersol 041 9814989 can give you more information (no connection in any way, but I am going to give them a call myself). It seemingly can detect where there is insuffiecient insulation and it can check where draught seals etc need to be replaced.

I know someone who has had it done and it has made a dramatic effect to the house. They gave me the name of the company who done it for them.

Back