Probate Costs

AndyDublin

I looked through the key posts and forum but I didn't see anything on solicitors costs and l have some very different quotes so looking for some guidance please.

I'm terminally ill and arranging my affairs in advance. I am married, will complete with my husband getting all assets.

-
I have a will and executor chosen, a close friend but I don't want to burden them with probate

- All assets to my husband, they are
- house 350k no mortgage
- death in service payment 300k

I have 30k cash that I will transfer to my husband now, and he'll get a spouse's pension, but I believe these won't be relevant. No joint accounts, my husband will have enough cash to live on, pay funeral expenses and probate.

I have 3 quotes, 2 roughly 4k and the other is 13k. Am I providing the right information, are they reasonable quotes and if anyone could recommend a solicitor.

Thanks
Andy

I’m sorry to hear about your health . I understand why you want to get your affairs in order but all you need to do it write a will and choose an executor.

it’s the executor wants to use a solicitor, you shouldn’t specify which one.

The executor would have to go and get another quote at the time anyway.

Concentrate on enjoying the time you have left

Andy.

Very best wishes to you for your remaining time.

It strikes me that you very much want to ease things for your husband and friend when the inevitable time comes, and that also you want to control what you can in the time that is left.

One thing comes to mind, if you wish to, and if it's practical for you. IANAL, but I believe you can instruct a solicitor to draw up and execute a deed of conveyance whereby you convey ownership of the property to both yourself and your husband as tenants in common, the consideration being "natural love and affection". At least that is a wording I know has been used in the past when a husband (my Dad) conveyed the family home from his sole name to that of both himself and my mother.

The next effect of doing so takes the property out of the probate process and leaves one less thing for your friend to have to organise.

Going through a very (hopefully) straight forward probate at the minute for my deceased mother. I'm being charged around 4k + VAT. 13k sounds OTT but a lot will depend on how many letters the solictors will need to write and how much complications there are

Andy, sorry to hear about your health. My best wishes to you. 13k sounds extremely over priced, 4k sounds more along the lines of what it shoud be, as there doesn't seem to be anything complicated about it.
Zobeda's suggestion may be worth looking into.

I have 3 quotes, 2 roughly 4k and the other is 13k. Am I providing the right information, are they reasonable quotes and if anyone could recommend a solicitor.

Hi Andy,

Very sorry to hear about your health and that you are having to deal with all these matters at moment.

I've seen many recommendations on AAM over the years for a solicitor with user name mf1. You could try sending a private message on AAM and see if they will be able to help.

Unless there is an unusual amount of work involved 13k seems excessive. 4k seems more like it.

I've seen it mentioned on AAM in the past that you should get a bill in writing before the work commences so whoever you use make sure to get this.

Hope this helps and that you get all these matters sorted.

Andy

A couple of things to check when comparing quotes:
Are fees, expenses, etc and VAT where applicable included ?
Will the solicitor answer any questions your partner or the executor may have and/or provide guidance or assistance if required ?

One question - have you looked at transferring the house into your joint names now - you don't need to answer, just wondering if you considered it - from past experience it may not be too complicated and gets that out of the way

This is a very simple estate. I'd appoint the husband as executor. Why involve anyone else. No way should this cost 13K for probate. In fact it could be done without a solicitor but 4K saves a lot of admin hassle which your husband could do without. And it should be left up to your husband to pick a solicitor. Clearly the solicitor who knows you/both and who draws up the will would be ideal unless it's the outrages 13K quote.

I'm very sorry for your personal circumstances and agree with the poster who said to concentrate on what time you have left. Maybe time to go somewhere amazing with your husband. Memories are more important than leaving an estate in order. (and yours sounds way more in order than most)

Thanks for the advice, I believe mine is straightforward so I will discount the 13k

my executor will have final sayand choose a solicitor , I just want it as straightforward as possible. will leave the probate process to run it's course rather than preempt it.

one less thing on my mind

If it’s a very simple and straightforward will, probate can be sought by anyone with a bit of a flair for administration/paperwork.

It’s not rocket science. I undertook the process for my late mother’s will. It just takes care and perseverance.

Last edited:
Did probate myself for my Uncles estate 2 years ago. Everything is straight forward online. Probate Office & Revenue are very helpful if you have any questions. You only pay the Probate fee. No way would I recommend a solicitor if its straight forward.

Back