Probate CA24 Question

TurningGreen

Hi All,

My darling wife died three years ago and as her husband I was sole heir and executor of the will. Our finances, primary residence and a rental property were all in joint ownership so there was no need for probate. However after she died I discovered we forgot that a state savings account for third level education was still in her name. An Post would not accept a death certificate and sworn statement stating I was sole beneficiary and wanted probate before releasing the funds. I decided to leave the money in situ (yes probably a bad idea in hindsight as memory not as fresh!) for the education which is now looming. I’m considering doing a personal probate but my question is whether the joint properties and accounts need to be listed as part of the probate or is it only the state savings account solely in my wife’s name that needs to be listed.

Reading the CA25 document it states

Please furnish the gross market value at the date of death of immoveable assets, i.e. houses, apartments, lands etc. held by the deceased in his or her sole name within the state together with the gross market value at the date of death of a specific share of an immoveable asset which the deceased held as a tenant in common within the state

If the only financial items that need to be listed are ones ‘held in sole name of deceased’ then I think this would be a simple enough probate for me to undertake. Otherwise the thought of going back three years to request joint account balances and get property valuations done fills me with no great joy!!!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

A relative of mine is in an almost identical situation. I have filled in the CA24 but we have done nothing with it yet as we are in no hurry to get the money in the deceased's sole account.

I asked the Probate Office and the answer was that yes, all joint assets should be included in Part 6 of the CA24. I was also advised to direct any other queries I may have on the CA24 to Revenue. The reason I contacted Probate rather than Revenue was because it was much easier to find specific contact details for them.

http://www.courts.ie/offices.nsf/65...be735bced234bbbc80256e45005861c7?OpenDocument

But don't take the word of someone on the internet - I suggest you make your own enquiries as I completely understand how much less hassle it would be if you didn't have to include the already transferred assets in the CA24.

Back