Private residence used as a builder's yard.

You should consider the potential consequences of your actions if this chap (who sounds like a hard case) feels like you're informing on him and gets irked/ vengeful about it. These neighbour disputes can spiral badly.
How will Mr. builders yard know who made the complaint?

How will Mr. builders yard know who made the complaint?
Neighbour can make an FOI request and get the details; you are advised of this as part of the process of making a complaint under breach of planning with the Co. Co.

Neighbour can make an FOI request and get the details; you are advised of this as part of the process of making a complaint under breach of planning with the Co. Co.
That seems strange.
What about a complaint to the HSA?

Hi all
Some great comments and suggestions here for me to follow up, I think the HSA is a great one. I have no problem with him knowing its me, I have already attempted to discuss on a one to one basis but he wont engage. I ignored the issue for years as he had a young family of 6 and was wotking hard to provide for them etc. However the marraige is over, divorce gone through, he no longer lives in the house, nor does any of the family, they are all independant adults now. The rooms are rented out. At this stage I just want to not be looking at a builders yard I have no problem being transparent thats its me making thr complaint as he would assume it was me any way.

What about a complaint to the HSA?
I can't say for sure as I've never submitted a complaint of that nature.

As a general guide it's always safest to assume that any document sent to a Govt department or agency may come into the public domain.

Neighbour can make an FOI request and get the details;
They will certainly be obliged to redact your address. Not sure about your name.

Otherwise most people don't know how to use the FoI system at all, and public bodies rarely encourage people.

They will certainly be obliged to redact your address. Not sure about your name.

Not for a planning objection or report. Co Co make this clear. In dealing with any Govt. department, you can't be certain that your letter or information will not be disclosed.

most people don't know how to use the FoI system at all, and public bodies rarely encourage people
I wouldn't agree with this; and it's certainly not something I would rely on.

I agree this system stinks - most neighbours don't report planning breaches for this very reason.

Last edited:
@Thirsty

True, but you have to play the percentages. Chances that an FoI request is put in AND the local authority doesn't redact it AND the complainee is vengeful enough to take it out on you.

I've never seen an FoI request that wasn't an NGO, a journalist or a motivated crank like myself :)

Does this vary by local authority? The SDCC form states your details will remain confidential for enforcement complaints.

Does this vary by local authority? The SDCC form states your details will remain confidential for enforcement complaints.
They should include the rider (this one for example is from Cork):

Will my complaint be kept confidential?​

If you make a Planning Enforcement Complaint your details are treated in the greatest confidence and are not released to any third party and are not entered in Cork City Council’s Planning Register. It is Cork City Council’s policy to keep the name of the complainant confidential both during the course of any enforcement proceedings, and afterwards when the case is completed.
However, this information is subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act 1997 as amended and accordingly may be subject to disclosure. In exceptional circumstances, this information may be subpoenaed by a Court. More information on Freedom of Information is available here.

They should include the rider (this one for example is from Cork):

OK, so the complainants details will remain confidential in most scenarios including FOI requests, but might be released if the subject manages to obtain a court order for their release. It's difficult to see under what grounds the subject of the complaint might be successful in obtaining such an order.

Court order not needed for FOI.

As previous post - assume anything you send to a Govt Dept may eventually become public.

Somewhere in my papers I have a letter from my CoCo after I contacted them warning me that they cannot guarantee my name / address would not be made known to the subject of the complaint if I went ahead.

Court order not needed for FOI.
Correct, but name address of complainant is not released in response to an FOI request.

The FOI act states that the personal details of others should not be disclosed in response to FOI requests. I don't see compliance complaints falling into any of the exempted categories.

Back