Health Insurance Private Health Insurance for a 90 year old

cremeegg

Is there any purpose in a 90 year old having private health insurance.

He has bone cancer, not aggressive, he receives treatment, that condition is not expected to worsen in any likely time frame.

He is susceptible to infection, pneumonia, kidney infections are likely in the next year or so.

In the past he has been admitted to the local public hospital spent time on a trolley etc. He did have private insurance then. That seems to have been the best place for him. His GP says if you are really sick you need to be in the public hospital, they have greater strength in depth to deal with the really ill.

Are there any likely circumstances where a lack of private insurance would be a disadvantage.

Any views appreciated.

cremeegg,

If he doesn't have health insurance at the moment, he will be treated as a new customer and there would be a 5 year wait for his
pre-existing illnesses and conditions. New illnesses would be covered after 6 months initial waiting time.

If he has health insurance at the moment, I would hang onto it. Maybe even reduce the cost without compromising on hospital cover.
At 90 yrs, the likes of a cataract operation would be a typical procedure, which is a 2 year wait in the public system.
I suppose its a comfort thing knowing that he has it if required for whatever reason.

I didn't gather from your post if he has health insurance or not.
If he does, what plan is he on and when is his renewal date?

Snowyb

Thanks Snowy. Yes he has had health insurance without any interruption for many years. Currently Laya flex 500 explore, it is due for renewal early March.

He has early stage cataracts at the moment, but we have been advised against an operation as his sight generally has degenerated due to age and the operation would not improve that.

What might you suggest as a suitable policy.

cremeegg,

He's already on the plan, Flex 500 Explore, that I would have recommended.
Its the cheapest priced plan which covers all 3 levels of hospital cover, public,private and hi-tech.

Re the cataract situation, this kind of advice would be common regarding having surgery at 90+ yrs, its often avoided, if possible,
or alternative options would be encouraged, if applicable ie. medication etc.

But this wouldn't be the case if he needed a hospital stay due to infection, pneumonia and kidney infections which he will be prone to in
the future. For this reason alone, I would keep health insurance.

I would be inclined to keep Flex 500 Explore, with the extra option of private or hi-tech cover if needed even for a day case procedure or scan
if required. Its a personal choice, but I think its like an extra safety net to rely on if needed.

Snowyb

FWIW my 90 y.o. mother kept her VHI cover up as she was afraid that her replacement hips might need revision surgery.

What she did not anticipate was a cardiac electrical problem which cost about €7,000 to rectify.

The moral is that at this stage of the game of life the older person will probably develop some medical faults and private cover would be of great advantage for some issues but not for absolutely everything. The G.P.'s observation about a public hospital is spot on.

Back