Private Detective hired by ins co. Is this allowed? Is info allowed in court?

Bottom Line yes it is permitted, an insurance company is allowed the use of such organisations to gather information applicable to the claim in hand.
Yes it is permissible in court once the said PD, did not break any laws in obtaining the imformation.
They work for the Insurance company, they are hired by them, and the information gathered is submitted to them.
And finally, you will find out everything they found out about you, if the evidence is presented in court to support the case of the Insurance company. If you are successful with your claim, then you can under the data protection request any information they have on file about you.

Bottom Line yes it is permitted, an insurance company is allowed the use of such organisations to gather information applicable to the claim in hand.
Yes it is permissible in court once the said PD, did not break any laws in obtaining the imformation.
They work for the Insurance company, they are hired by them, and the information gathered is submitted to them.
And finally, you will find out everything they found out about you, if the evidence is presented in court to support the case of the Insurance company. If you are successful with your claim, then you can under the data protection request any information they have on file about you.

Are you sure it's only if you're successful? My reading of the DPA is that any info they have on you is available to you.

Are you sure it's only if you're successful? My reading of the DPA is that any info they have on you is available to you.

well I was kind of going on the basis that if you lost your case due to findings that could not be argued, why would you need to find out what they had on you. Rock crawl under comes to mind :)

Notwithstanding, the data protection act..............

Surely a "Gary Doyle" order could be applied for, where all evidence to be presented in court by the plantiff, must be given to the defence before the court hearing takes place.

Notwithstanding, the data protection act..............

Surely a "Gary Doyle" order could be applied for, where all evidence to be presented in court by the plantiff, must be given to the defence before the court hearing takes place.
In case anybody else didn't know what this referred to and had to look it up...

[broken link removed]

In case anybody else didn't know what this referred to and had to look it up...

[broken link removed]

The above link applies to a criminal prosecution case. There is no apparent indication that this principle applies to civil cases like the one under discussion.

Specific if the solicitors know what they are looking for. They must specify what they want.

I've seen private detectives give evidence in court. Personal injuries cases. And thank goodness for private detectives who highlight those who are scamming the system and increasing insurance costs for the rest of us.

If one is telling the truth what has one got to be fearful of OP?

Fair enough, but this thread does not involve a personal injuries claim.

I can think of many reasons why someone might be fearful if they discovered some private eye was putting them under surveilance.

The OP asked 4 questions:

1 - are they legaly allowed to do this?

2 - what do they do with (their) findings?

2b. -can (the findings) be used in court?

3. - how do i go about finding out what information they (pi or the pi's client) took or hold on me?

1. Yes
2. Give them to the insurance company.
3. Yes, they can be called to give evidence on behalf of the defence.
4. Send the PI or the PI's client a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act 1988. This may be refused if the information is part of legal proceedings.

Back