Prime Time Investigates Advice to Elderly, this Thursday 9:30pm

MrMan ,, I think you are paranoid. It's fairly obvious that the agents used in the interview were not coaxed. They are simply Bad agents. Even better the IBA had a their answer prepared for the Press the before the programme was aired or they had a chance to view it. Basically, it is an industry flawed with problems and with persons that are hell bent on miselling to achieve a commission.

I agree with you about the guys that were on view, but could they have researched and found bad agents before filming them. I think everyone would agree that had the filming produced an overwhelmingly positive outlook it would not have been aired and rte money would have been wasted.

Are there legal issues with recording a conversation with a third-party without notifying them in advance?

Why would they have strong grounds for suing RTE ??

I was talking about the good guys suing.

Imagine doing a mystery shopping stunt on GPs with some fraudulent ailment. Maybe that might highlight some bad medical advice which deserves being exposed. But for those who were genuine they would rightly condemn RTE for fraudulently wasting their time. In the case of financial advice the waste of time is compounded by the fact that the advice is in the first instance offered free.

Put another way, does that actress have any remorse for openly telling lies, does RTE have any remorse for paying her to do so? This is quite different, as I said for example, from sampling restaurants with a view writing a critique in a newspaper column, there is nothing dishonest about this latter activity.

From a GP's POV it would not have been a waste of time as he/she would have been paid for the "fake" consult. It's more of a waste of time for a genuine patient in the waiting room. This would be akin to saying that if the Office of Tobacco Control send a 12 year old into a local shop to buy cigarettes, they and the 12 year old are fraudulently wasting the retailer's time.

As for a commission-based financial advisors, they are free to switch to a fee-based model if they think people are taking advantage of their free advice or wasting their time.

Without these types of sting operations by the media or regulatory bodies it would be extremely difficult to monitor the practices/standards of many businesses. While it may break the ninth commandment it hardly qualifies as fraudulent activity!

This would be akin to saying that if the Office of Tobacco Control send a 12 year old into a local shop to buy cigarettes, they and the 12 year old are fraudulently wasting the retailer's time.
Hardly the same asd this transaction would entail about ten seconds of conversation.

Couldn't agree more I am tired of O'Dea stating that she cant talk about situations that are under investigation. She has been saying it for so long now, one would like to know when will she finalise a case that she talk about.

Is it time to start naming the institutions?

Bedlam

Back