Priest cost for Months mind mass?

Lorrie

Hello,
Wondering does anyone know how much a priest will expect for saying a Months mind mass? I believe he has to be paid - but don't want to ask him straight out? Thanks.

Lorrie said:
Hello,
Wondering does anyone know how much a priest will expect for saying a Months mind mass?
Two years off his stint in purgatory?

I would say 20-50 euro depending on what you can afford would be sufficient.

Hi Lorrie,

Dont mind Clubman ;)

Find out what doctors in the area charges for visit and offer that. If he has incurred any motoring expences add on 50c a mile.

Monthsmind is only done in certain parts of the country. I think it is nice tradition which is worth keeping.

aj

Hello Lorrie,

Do you mean a month's mind mass at your home? or is the regular church Mass, i.e. where the Mass is being said anyway with the name of the deceased being mentioned.

Priests are not allowed to charge for masses, however a "donation" is expected. How much is up to you.

Do priests declare these donations for tax like service workers who declare tips? Even if This post will be deleted if not edited immediately considered tax collectors sinners who were to be loved in spite of their sins.

As justsally said we need to distinguish between a privately arranged monthsmidnds mass (or anniversary mass) and a public mass which is designated as a monthsmind. (and pehaps just getting a mass said using a mass card)

Ive been to monthsmind masses which were held in the local convent chapel. In which case the nuns were also paid something for the use of the chapel.

But in answer to the questions €30-€50 + expenses would appear right. I regard the priest to be a professional and would expect to pay the going professional rate.

aj

Hi Clubman,

If you want to know how clergymen's income is taxed why dont you post a question in the tax forum?

aj

Do you know what a monthsmind mass is?

ClubMan said:
This post will be deleted if not edited immediately considered tax collectors sinners who were to be loved in spite of their sins.
That depends which [broken link removed] you mean. Can you be more specific?

Last time I was at a month's mind it was in the family home, and the priest got €50 and a nice dinner — 'another brandy, Father..?' ;) and why not? A grinds teacher would charge at least that for a couple of hours of their time. A repairman would charge it just for calling to your house.

I would not like to comment on what priests do or dont get regarding months mind masses or otherwise. This is down to each individuals own choice in the matter. I have an opinion about this but I know it wont be what the majority think, so I have learned to keep my mouth shut, that way I wont get into any trouble and it wont offend anyone.

ClubMan said:
Do priests declare these donations for tax like service workers who declare tips? Even if This post will be deleted if not edited immediately considered tax collectors sinners who were to be loved in spite of their sins.
. Yes, the priests in our parish DO. Sorry to disappoint you Clubman - I know you love a good rant at the Catholic church.

..entirely up to you..... but if you can afford €50 then that would be quite fitting

Andrewa said:
. Yes, the priests in our parish DO. Sorry to disappoint you Clubman
On the contrary - I'm always pleased to hear of people meeting their tax liabilities.
I know you love a good rant at the Catholic church.
Er, not true. Read my posts on this matter carefully and you will see no traces of rants about the Catholic or any other church.

Staying on topic!!!! We paid €50 for a relatives months mind.
As Dr Moriarty said, priests are providing a service and are just as entitled to be paid for this as anyone else.

There is no payment for a Mass. However, a stipend can be offered. There are many diverse opinions as to whether or not money should be handed over. The priest receives a weekly salary from the Diocese, if he is a Diocesan priest. So any money given to him for the privilege of saying Mass is an extra. However, it's one's own choice whether or not to offer a stipend. Re tax etc. Monies received i.e. Easter Dues Christmas Dues etc are submitted to the Central Fund from where each priest's weekly salary is drawn down. The central fund also looks after retired priests etc. Priests are self employed, they pay their taxes and P.R.S.I which enables them to receive social welfare benefits. OK.

I am not trying to be controversial. Just supplying some facts :eek:

Hi
Its a months mass held in the local church - he lives next door so no travel expenses required. Think I will give him 50 euro and a thank you card. The undertaker paid him for the funeral mass and he received 150. I wasn't prepared for the shock of the undertakers bill either - almost 9000 euros. Thank you for all the replies.

Back