Preliminary tax and paye

galway2014

Hello,

I'm in the process of completing my tax return for 2016.

I'm a proprietary company director but my income from the company was zero for 2016. All my income for 2016 has been PAYE.

When filling out the form 11 it asks me for my Income for 2016, However I have only been paid for the first ten months of the year.

For my paye income do i declare my income for the first ten months ? or should i enter what i expect to earn in 2016, likewise what figure should i enter for tax paid ? Its very confusing, I have paid 83% (10/12) of my tax for the year, but do i need to pay 90% of my liability ?

Why are you doing your 2016 return now?

It's the 2015 return that is due this month.

If you only have PAYE income and have no liability then you do not pay Preliminary Tax.

i'm doing my preliminary tax for 2016 which is required as im a chargeable person as a director of a company

You can't possibly be doing a Form 11 for 2016 as they won't be available until after the end of the year, they never are.

Galway form 11 2016 return is not due until October 2017 when you will need to file your 2016 return and pay any tax if you owe it. You will then also pay preliminary tax for 2017 which will be a percentage of your 2016 liability that you paid, I always pay 100% of the previous year but you can pay less. The revenue website will explain your options.

Also if you have no income other than paye you may not have to file anything or file a different form but I know nothing about the rules for directors but I'm sure someone will advise you here on that.

Back