Pregnancy, maternity leave and JB

joska

Hi,

Me and my hubby are both working full time. He has permanent job and my contract ends in the middle of March. We have one child (3). We are thinking of start trying for another baby but I would like to check my situation before we do.

So his job will allow us to cover mortgage and bills. my is covering living costs (creche, food, and a little savings for emergency).

I was working since Sept 2006 when arrived to Ireland with small brakes:
April-May 2007 - left first job and found another (1.5 month, didn't claim any benefits)
Then working in permanent job from May 2007 till April 2012 (with 6 months maternity leave brake). left voluntary (due to issues at work place) in Apr 2012 and was on JB till end of June.
Started new, full time Job in end of June 2012 and was made redundant in June 2014. Was on JB till August when found temp job for Maternity leave cover.

The question is how will my Maternity leave and JB entitlements works?

I know that I will be entitled for JB and have enough contributions to have maternity leave (checked with citizen info).

but I was told that my ML may start straight away after my contract ends? It's not what I would like to have assuming that I will be 2-3 months pregnant? and then be on JB when baby is born and ML ends? I am afraid that in that case I will have to leave a very little baby in creche or with nanny?? (6 months is the min age as I did with first one)

If someone could explain to my what the scenarios could be? I rang citizen info and they've told me that it "depends on situation, contributions and stage of the pregnancy".

The best option for me is JB and look for a job, then go on ML when baby is born and then continue JB or JA and search for job.

I want to work as I do and don't mind looking for a job while pregnant. I am also thinking of becoming self employed (sole trader) after this contract ends and run office admin services and do temp jobs, short contracts etc (and pay contributions as self employed) if it won't work start looking for a FT job.

Thanks for advise in advance!
Joanna

You need to be at least 24 weeks pregnant before you can go on maternity leave. If you need to go on JB before you are 24 weeks pregnant you will not be eligible for MB unless you have a paid (not credited) contribution, immediately prior to going on maternity leave. I believe that you are allowed a short period on JB where you can continue to receive JB but not be seeking work, immediately before and after birth.

Thanks Nutso. What are (not credited) contribution?

I think I am going to register as a sole trader now (while working) so I can start looking for some extra work (weekends etc) and pay contributions you mentioned separately, on my own. Is it possible?

then go on JSB when contract with my employer ends (11.03.15) and retain my self employment? (I know that what I earn from self employment will be deducted from my JSB payment), keep paying my contributions and apply for ML as self employed? and after ML ends keep looking for a full time job?

are my contributions paid in past years matter for that ML?

how much are min (non credited) contributions I have to pay? is that weekly or monthly?

oh.. it's so confusing but I really don't want to end up in a black hole...

small edit as found below:

Who pays Class S PRSI?
"employees who are also self-employed in a trade or profession pay Class S PRSI as well as their PRSI contribution as an employee"

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/PRSI---PRSI-for-the-Self-employed.aspx#6

6) Rates of Contributions

Standard Rate:
Class S contributions are payable at 4% of reckonable income - subject to a minimum payment of €500.

Reduced rate
Persons whose annual income is €5,000 or more, who have been deemed to have no tax liability by the Revenue Commissioners, are required to pay a flat rate of €300 direct to this Department.
When the full amount (100%) of income tax and PRSI charged has been paid, Class S contributions should be awarded. Where less than the full amount due has been paid, no contributions should be awarded.

which rate I have to pay? if they take on to account only self employment i do not exceed 5k. if they count my current/past employment as well it will be much more than 5k.

does it mean that I have to pay that €500 plus monthly contributions at min rate (min is €250/year I think?)

Back