Pre paid Mastercard

Thank you, nbaki82. You'll grant that I'm not the first to have pondered the source of your enthusiasm for the product?

Unlike moneysavingexpert.com, we don't have a referrer's board on this forum. So please don't post or pm any AAM members offering to refer them to this or any other product.

I've signed up to Neteller myself and my 'customer experience' so far has been very positive, but I have come across one or two details I'm less happy with, buried deep in the T&Cs — or not, in one instance — e.g. the 1.75% fee to load money to your Neteller account from debit/credit cards is not detailed in their Prepaid Mastercard fees table. They probably justify this by saying the charge is applied to the Neteller account rather than the card. In fairness, it's impossible to proceed without seeing (and accepting) the charge.

Thanks for the clarification nbaki82.

I was taking a look at your link from your last post. The Bishopstown Credit Union apparently do a Mastercard Debit Card. Is this the same as a prepaid Mastercard I wonder? The principle is the pretty much the same but I wonder is it the same type of card on the Ryanair payment system?

If anyone has one of these cards and have made a booking on Ryanair since 01 December without additional fees perhaps they would let us know?

I still feel very wary about opening a neteller account. This site didn't make me feel any more confident.
http://www.ripoffreport.com/Search/Company/NeTeller.aspx

I have an entropay card, and read the charges for opening a prepaid Maestro, but only found there was a £4.95 charge once I began the procedure. It's not stated under the "fees" information.

So I'm still considering the options.

what are the names opf companies that do not charge please, this information would be helpful for people that are thinking of taking out one.

Re: Get a Visa Electron card now - they are being phased out

Spliced from the (now closed) thread about Get a Visa Electron card now - they are being phased out, the following comments relate to the fees for the Neteller product:
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Free [to load your account] if you do it from your bank account (2-5 business days, but in practice I found it faster - funds were there next day)
1.75% if you use a credit card or Maestro card (instant)
[broken link removed]

The card is free to get, and free to use for POS transactions in the same currency as your account.
But they charge €4 per ATM withdrawal and a 2.95% FX commission.
[broken link removed]

The Neteller account also has what they call an [broken link removed] — about the only 'gotcha', as far as I can see:
If you do not use your NETELLER account for 14 months you will be charged an Inactive Administrative Fee up to $30 USD. This fee will be charged annually until you use your account or the account balance reaches zero. Account use is defined as any deposit, transfer to or from a merchant, withdrawal or Net+ Card purchase.

For ryanair bookings, am I better to have a neteller account in sterling or euro?

It depends. If you book a lot of flights originating within the UK (and therefore billed in GBP), then a sterling account might make sense — except that you'd then be hit for FX charges when loading the Neteller account from a euro-denominated bank a/c. And of course most other merchants will want you to pay in euro, if you're ordering from Ireland, so you'd be ringing up FX charges there, too.

They don't allow you hold accounts in more than one currency (see [broken link removed]) — perhaps precisely because they depend on FX and other fees for their profit.
That said, their FX charges are no worse than those applied by many 'regular' credit card providers.

Its very interesting that you can use the Dundrum Town Centre gift card as it is a prepaid master card. Has anyone used it yet?

Its very interesting that you can use the Dundrum Town Centre gift card as it is a prepaid master card. Has anyone used it yet?
Scotch Hall in Drogheda and The Outlet in Kildare also do them. Excellent cards for use on Ryanair as there are no fees.

Hi there

Anyone know how long it takes neteller to process upgrade to Net+.

Have submitted ID and Utility docs by e-mail.

Is there another step after this?

Appreciate any and all replies in advance.

Hi there

Anyone know how long it takes neteller to process upgrade to Net+.

Have submitted ID and Utility docs by e-mail.

Is there another step after this?

Appreciate any and all replies in advance.
I got an email the day after I submitted my documents confirming that they had been accepted. After that you have to go into live chat to arrange a phone verification - you will be informed of this in the email. I got the phone call within a few minutes.

After that, if you want the physical plastic card you just apply on-line & it arrives within a few days & the PIN arrives a couple of days after that. You need to activate the card on-line, but again instructions are provided with your card.

If you want to verify your bank account for withdrawals you do that on the site, provide your bank details & a few days later a small lodgement appears in your bank account. You need to enter that amount in the verification section.

I found the whole process very streamlined.

Thanks for that Papercut:

Unfortunately, I have had contact from them telling me my Photo ID was not acceptable.

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately we cannot accept your ID for the following reason:

Document is unreadable (Poor quality)

This was a Digital Photo of my Driver License, but I didn't get a very good image, I have to admit.

I will do it again, and hopefully it will be acceptable this time, but I doubt it for the following reason.

Both my Passport and Driver License have a different address to my account address, as they were both got 8 years, both 10 year models.

We moved house 5 years ago, and the Utility Bill shows that address.

I asked them about this in a seperate e-mail

I have just checked your requirements as shown in your [broken link removed] and I realise that one of my documents, the Government ID does not meet the requirement :

Address on document MUST match address on NETELLER account.

Neteller's reply was not very informative on the specific question about the date on Government ID docs.

Thank you for your email.

To upgrade your NETELLER account please email a clear colour scan or digital photograph showing all four corners of the following documents to [email protected]:

• A copy of your passport displaying the photograph and passport number or
• A copy of your driving license displaying the driving license number or
• A copy of a government-issued photo ID card showing the photograph and ID number
• and a utility bill (e.g. an electricity bill) or a paper bank statement or credit card statement displaying your name and address that has been issued within the last 3 months - unfortunately we cannot accept online statements

Please send the images as attachments from the email address registered with your NETELLER account or we will not be able to process your request. Once we are able to process your information, your NETELLER account will be upgraded and you will be notified by email.

Hi irishpancake,
I can’t say this for definite, but I’d say that the problem is purely that the image is not clear enough for them.

Your passport or driver’s licence would be used to verify your actual identity rather than your address. The recent utility bill/bank statement/credit card statement is what they use to verify your address.

Just looking through the site I get the impression that the bit about your address matching your government issued ID refers specifically to a government issued ID Card, as opposed to a passport or driver’s licence, although there seems to be different rules for documents issued in different countries. My passport is an Irish one, so doesn’t contain address details anyway, but if you have an Irish driver’s licence you can get a replacement one free of charge once it’s just to update your address details, which would solve that problem if it came to it.

You might be better scanning the documents rather than taking a digital photo of them. If you or anyone you know has access to a scanner (even at work), you could get them to scan & email the image to you so as you could use it to email it to Neteller. Just make sure it’s a high quality colour image & that you haven’t cropped off any corners.

Hopefully the problem is just the quality of the images. You can also use the live-chat help feature on the site, where you might get more detailed answers.

Thanks again for your welcome explanation Papercut.

It does seem logical regarding the Govt. ID.

It is good to know that I can get a replacement Drivers License with updated Address details, if necessary.

I think I will submit my Passport image, as the License has a kind of covering which does not copy well.

If that doesn't work, I will get the document scanned.

It's just that the Digital Photographic Image is pretty good, as per my Address Document (CC Statement) copied very well and seems to have been accepted.

Thanks again for your help.

I will report back, as it does sem to be a good option, particularly for Ryanair flights.

Back