Pre paid Mastercard

divadsnilloc

Ryanair are discontinuing the use of Visa Electron from the end of Dec this year. This was the one way you had of avoiding their scandalous credit card booking fees. They now state that you can use a Prepaid Mastercard and not be charged. Does anybody know where you can get one of these? From what I can see, you can only get them in Ireland at www.payzonemoney.ie and whilst it may look free to use it on Ryanair, there are fees involved with payzone when you use the card.

i have neteller no fees when u use it in the same currency as your card...because you choose from mayny currencies when you register

Ok, I took a quick look at Neteller. Here is how I see it....

Open neteller extender account - free
transfer funds using international bank transfer - free (unless charge by your bank)
get prepaid mastercard - free
pos/internet use (e.g. ryanair) - free (once in own currency)

Is there something i'm missing?

You have send them for after registration of you your current account statement(thats for addres verfication) and id (like passport or id card) you to scan it and email to them...(can make a picture of it and attach it to your email (i did like that).

They will send card by post if you request card and also pinnumber for ATM use. ATM use will charge you.

No u arent missing anything....

Used carefully, this looks like a nice little moneysaver for people who frequently use Ryanair and/or shop online a lot. Am still wading through the small print, but it looks like an attractive alternative to Payzone/Ryanair et al.

Ok, I took a quick look at Neteller. Here is how I see it....

Open neteller extender account - free
transfer funds using international bank transfer - free (unless charge by your bank)
get prepaid mastercard - free
pos/internet use (e.g. ryanair) - free (once in own currency)

Is there something i'm missing?

What I think you are missing is that the Administration fee of €10 per round trip per passenger as indicated on the schedule will not be applied to prepaid debit Mastercards for a limited period only. It's a while since I booked flights with Ryanair but the last time I did, prior to yesterday, there was a €10 per passenger per round trip fee for using a credit card to pay for the booking. This fee has now been replaced by an Administration charge of the same amount, and , as indicated above, it's only a matter of time before all payment methods attract the same Administration charge.

demoivre - if Ryanair do this then they cant advertise their 0.01 sales, as they can only advertise the lowest available fare excluding avoidable fees and charges, thats why they have a method (no matter how convoluted) way of eliminating the CC Charge, if they have no free method of booking fares then they have to advertise the fare plus the unavoidable (Admin/CC charge) as the lowest price of the flight.

demoivre - if Ryanair do this then they cant advertise their 0.01 sales, as they can only advertise the lowest available fare excluding avoidable fees and charges, thats why they have a method (no matter how convoluted) way of eliminating the CC Charge, if they have no free method of booking fares then they have to advertise the fare plus the unavoidable (Admin/CC charge) as the lowest price of the flight.

Fair enough. When I was paying for flights yesterday there was a choice of selecting from several cards including the prepaid debit Mastercard. Maybe some of the other cards won't attract the Administration charge that they are eventually going to apply to this Mastercard and so will allow Ryanair to overcome the problem that you mention - I don't know tbh.

The best one is Neteller's Net+ pay as you go MasterCard. It is free to get and free to spend. You can get it in any currency. Have a look here. [broken link removed]

As a frequent Ryanair traveller, I thought I should get a prepaid Mastercard. Payzone (through Bank Invik in Luxembourg) supply such a card in Ireland. Beware though, as the small print ahows that you are trading one set of dodgy charges for another! With my card comes the following charges:
- €6 to obtain card.
- €3.50 (up to €350 load) / €5.95 (up to €500 load) every time you load money on the card
- 2.95% of purchase value charge, for every purchase
- €3.50 / month account fee if account is inactive for 3 months.

So best case scenario is a cost of 3.95% for every transaction (1% at card load, plus 2.95% card use). Hence the card may be of value when you get the €5 flights, but definitely not when you get the €250 flights.

I have just received the card, but haven't used it yet.

(http://www.payzonemoney.com for the card website)

As a frequent Ryanair traveller, I thought I should get a prepaid Mastercard. Payzone (through Bank Invik in Luxembourg) supply such a card in Ireland. Beware though, as the small print ahows that you are trading one set of dodgy charges for another! With my card comes the following charges:
- €6 to obtain card.
- €3.50 (up to €350 load) / €5.95 (up to €500 load) every time you load money on the card
- 2.95% of purchase value charge, for every purchase
- €3.50 / month account fee if account is inactive for 3 months.

So best case scenario is a cost of 3.95% for every transaction (1% at card load, plus 2.95% card use). Hence the card may be of value when you get the €5 flights, but definitely not when you get the €250 flights.

I have just received the card, but haven't used it yet.

(http://www.payzonemoney.com for the card website)

I got one of those cards a few months ago and I went to add money to it for the first time this week. It would not work as I had left the card idle with no funds on it for 3 months so they killed the card. :(

nbaki82, please confirm whether you have a connection to Neteller.

DrMoriarty, I confirm that I am Neteller's customer. You can do your own research and find for yourself. I am just informing.

BTW, this is a good summary.

[broken link removed]

Last edited:
Back