Posting diamond ring home, how to avoid duty?

CN624

My sister is in Oz at the minute and is flying to South America shortly, she has been hearing some bad stories about muggings in the countries she will be visiting so she wants to post her diamond ring home. She got the ring as a graduation present before she went off travelling.

If she posts the ring home (insured of course) will customs look for duty to be paid as they will probably assume that it has been bought abroad?

Don't think she has any proof of purchase.

There should be no duty payable, presumably ther ring was bought here. Ringing customs is not such a bad idea to ask what to put on the customs form when posting in oz.

Just to let you know most postal administrations explicitly exclude cash and jewellery from insurance

Update on situation;

Ring arrived safe and sound (and insured) and no duty or tax on delivery.
However a couple of days later letter arrives looking for over a 1000 euro in taxes! They could have flown home with it and returned to Oz with cash to spare!!

Have been in touch with the delivery company and they are saying that unless she can prove its been bought in ireland (or eu?) she will have to pay. As far as the husband-to-be knows he hasn´t kept the receipt (paid cash over a year ago) and being in south america is in no position to check his files.

Not sure what the options are in this situation?
Can he go back to the jewellers and ask for a new receipt?

Crazy thought: If they decided not to pay it and instead had the ring sent back to the sending address, would that be an option?

Won't the hallmark and/or the cut of the diamond indicate the country of origin?

I had a ring made for me when on holiday in Egypt and bent it out of shape and it snapped, (after me standing on it! - yeah I know!) Took it into a local jewellers and he could tell me just by looking at it that it was 18 ct Egyptian gold.

Presumably the husband-to-be remembers where (and roughly when) he bought the ring? The jewellers must have some record of the sale, if they issued a receipt at the time. That would be my first port of call, anyway.

Also, if the ring was ever insured they may be able to provide some sort of paper trail, including the apprasial certificate.

If all else fails, even if the jewellers don't have the actual receipt or record of sale - surely they could help in 'finding' one - in the interests or romance etc? ;)

If all else fails, even if the jewellers don't have the actual receipt or record of sale - surely they could help in 'finding' one - in the interests or romance etc? ;)

for a small fee Im sure

Back