Post Study work visa G1 stamp.

Blackwexford

Hi all
Sorry if wrong forum.
I have just offered a job position to a person. I have just found out they have a post study work Visa with G1 stamp.
Does anyone have any experience of employing anyone with this type of Visa. I will ring emigration on Monday, I am just worried that there may be issues.
Thanks

Last edited:

Stamp 1G​

You will receive this stamp if:

You have finished studies in Ireland (holding an Irish student visa and Stamp 2/2A), and have received permission to look for work in Ireland under the Third Level Graduate Programme. In this case, the Stamp 1G is valid for 1 year and has the following conditions:
  • You can work up to 40 hours a week (full time)
  • You must apply for an Employment Permit if you find work and want to continue working in Ireland.

I assume that you'll have to be involved as the employer if, after 1 year, you want to retain them and they want to remain with you.

Thanks Groucho for the Information. I got more or less the same on the internet. So I can employ only for 1 year unless they get a full work permit or extension.

Yeah, I have heard of it. The graduate tells you they have a work visa so you proceed with the interviews etc and after you offer the job they tell you their visa is only applicable for x months and want you as the employer to invest in getting a full work visa.

As far as I can see the universities are delighted with the scheme as they get non eu citizens paying a lot for the masters and they tell the students they can stay on in Ireland as a graduate to get experience. I could not understand for a long while why so many had two masters but you can do this more than once and stay in the scheme.

I just finished employing one such person, covering a maternity leave for 12 months so I did not need them to stay on.

Back