Possible Contributor to Increased Road Deaths - Reduced Enforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concrete

We really need to increase enforcement:

I hope the Garda recruitment measures mentioned in the budget make some kind of difference but we should also be tackling this issue as creatively as possible, including implementing successful measures taken in other countries.

Detections for driving under the influence were at pre-pandemic levels last year, with only half the checks being carried out this is clearly an increasing problem.

I don't know, this summer and autumn I've driven 100-130 mile trips on multiple Saturday evenings and nights up to and past midnight and I haven't seen any evidence of it. Rural pubs are now variously deserted or closed down completely.

We really need to increase enforcement:

I hope the Garda recruitment measures mentioned in the budget make some kind of difference but we should also be tackling this issue as creatively as possible, including implementing successful measures taken in other countries.
Has the increase in deaths been linked to drink driving?

Why waste resources on policing something that has been largely eradicated?
Maybe you think the article is just about drink-driving. It's related to enforcement generally.
From the article "To the end of last week, 144 people had been killed on the roads, 30 more than the same period last year".
That's not a problem that's eradicated.

I don't know, this summer and autumn I've driven 100-130 mile trips on multiple Saturday evenings and nights up to and past midnight and I haven't seen any evidence of it. Rural pubs are now variously deserted or closed down completely.
You're making the mistake of thinking that the plural of anecdote is data.

Maybe you think the article is just about drink-driving. It's related to enforcement generally.
From the article "To the end of last week, 144 people had been killed on the roads, 30 more than the same period last year".
That's not a problem that's eradicated.
Not my problem if someone else posts a link with a misleading headine.

This is one report that lists sources. Widely reported for years as the data is released so shouldn't really be a surprise.

I've seen plenty of examples of cars crossing white lines and driving erratically over the years. My gut says incidents have increased over the last few years but it's not like I've been keeping count and I'm not so naive to think that one person's experience is in any way representative of what's happening across the country.

You're right - don't bother reading the article - just read the headline and write the first thing that comes to mind.
I read what you said in your post, not the linked article. If you're unwilling or unable to expand on that, that's OK, but don't expect users generally to delve into every link posted here. And if you are going to complain about people not reading your links, maybe avoid linking to paywalled media.

Last edited:
I read what you said in your post, not the linked article. If you're unwilling or unable to expand on that, that's OK, but don't expect users generally to delve into every link posted here. And if you are going to complain that people aren't reading your links, try not posting paywalled ones.
Wrong again - it's not paywalled.

I doubt driving is at the top of the crime statistics given that ireland has the safest roads in EU now. The issue is the personal safety in towns and cities were random crime is at an all time high and dublin now regarded as a dangerous city with tourists advised to be especially careful. That is where garda resources should be focused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back