Plumber charging for 6 callouts after replacing old boiler

n00dle

Hello, seeking advice please
My tenant was intermittently experiencing issues with 2 of their 7 radiators. I called a plumber who immediately deemed the boiler unsafe & isolated it. Naturally, this caused a scare for the tenants (it was serviced the previous year) and put pressure on me to resolve ASAP. The issue described to me was that the heat exchanger in the boiler was leaking down onto the burners causing flue and fire-proof insulation boards to rot (It was a Vokera which apparently are notorious for heat exchanger issues). His advice was to buy a new Ideal for €2500 which I did within a couple of days but since then the tenants have continued to experience the same radiator issues - The plumber has sent me an invoice for 6 x call outs total €350 since the new boiler was installed in November - the call outs described are - loss of heat to top floor, full choke on rads to be balanced, full choke on rad balanced, choke on rad not blocked, supply and fit of new expansion vessel for more pressure and new xxx fitted on rad (Sorry I can't read the writing on the invoice hence the xxx). The tenants have not had a clear run for more than 3 weeks and it's ~2 weeks since the last call out. Can you please let me know if this is reasonable?
Thanks
_________

Last edited:
Tenant probabley had plumbers head wrecked if tenant was paying plumber themselves they probably would not call plumber as much, probably rads needed bleeding or something small like that. Something you could have done yourself

Perhaps I'm totally wrong here but if the plumber was paid €2,500 to install a boiler and it was not working satisfactorily surely he is not due another €350. If he did his job properly in the first place there would not be a need for 6 extra call outs :confused:

For €2500,prior to the new boiler being installed the whole system should have been powerflushed,complete waste of money unless this procedure is carried out,and then after installation all rads bled and balanced if necessary.

Thank you for your replies. I feel the same Sue Ellen and believe the initial outlay should cover the initial problem reported. I also spoke to my tenant yesterday and says the 2 radiators on the upper floor (3 floors) are sub-optimal in terms of heat output so the problem is not fully fixed. As mentioned in first thread, I have received an invoice for the call-outs, how would you suggest I approach the plumber?

Just tell them that the system is still not working properly and you have no intentions of paying for extra call-outs in light of this. €2,500 should be more than enough. Where did you get the plumber from?

Dont understand why you needed a replacement expansion vessel on a brand new boilet?

Vessel was for one of the radiators. Plumber was recommended by a friend (known to be expensive but good!!). Visiting the house today to assess.

Well, you obviously don't want bad plumbers, so I thought it was a suggestion of a change of career, and they should be sent off to art college.

Vessel was for one of the radiators. Plumber was recommended by a friend (known to be expensive but good!!). Visiting the house today to assess.

Pressure vessels are to maintain pressure within the entire system, and are usually located by the boiler. Plumber should have ensured the new boiler was running correctly after installation, including flushing and balancing the system correctly. If that had happened there would have been no need for further call outs.

Back