Plastic Bag levy

N

Natchessmen

Can someone help me here with respect to plastic bag levy and especially the exceptions

form the law[broken link removed]

There are a few exceptions e.g.
fresh flesh
Nuts fruit veg
confectionery
dairy products
cooked food, whether cold or hot ....

The maximum dimensions are width 225mm...., X depth 345mm ..... length 450mm

Now my question is, is takeaway food included in this exemption because the law goes on to state
"provided that such products are not otherwise contained in packaging"

So for example a Chinese takeaway with a foil tray and board lid. Is it permissible to give away gratis a carrier bag?

Now my question is, is takeaway food included in this exemption because the law goes on to state
"provided that such products are not otherwise contained in packaging"

Hi Nat,

As far as I know your local Chineese TakeAway is allowed use plastic bags. Although some of the ones I go to use paper bags. The insides of the plastic bags suffer from condensation leading to soggyness.

I think the paragraph you refer to relates to the situation where you have prepacked fruit etc., in that case the green grocer must charge you for the plastic bag.

Has any one noticed a fall off in compliance with the plastic bag levy? I bought some toys and trinkets in a Pound Shop recently and they were handing out plastic carrier bags like snuff at a wake.

ajapale

Plastic bags

And the bags in Tesco are now smaller than they used to be, but still the same price!

BTW 'like snuff at a wake'?????

Plastic bags

"The think the paragraph you refer to relates to the situation where you have prepacked fruit etc., in that case the green grocer must charge you for the plastic bag"

Er ... whats the difference between packed cooked food and packed fruit. is not a case of it being either packed or not?

Nat

Re: Plastic bags

Since we pay 15c for each bag, I noticed they are alot more likely to be ripped or split ever before leaving the check out.

So I always double check the bag and if there is a split I ask for another, much to the displeasure of most clerks.

But If it were the product inside that were damaged I'd do the same and nobody would bat an eyelid. Others are happy to walk away holding the bag like it were a baby.

Re: Plastic bags

I see from yesterday (July 1st) the levy has gone up to 22 cents and now covers items such as a fresh chicken in a bag from Tescos. So it seems the 22 cent levy is unavoidable now when purchasing a fresh chicken. Have a look the next time you are in Tescos.

.....your local Chinese TakeAway is allowed use plastic bags.....
I noticed at a local take-away recently that they provided a plastic bag - but they charged for it! I spotted this only when I asked for the receipt and saw the bag charge. Nice one.

I bought a handbag on Saturday. The lady in the shop first wrap the bag in tissue paper and then placed it in a plastic bag. I wasn't charged for the plastic bag. They also put shoes in plastic bags as well. Should there be a charge for these bags?

Back