Planning Expiry Query

Steven Barry

I am looking for an interpretation of a part of the P&D act. 2000 & 2010

It is my understanding that the LAs consider construction to either wall plate level or ridge level to be 'substantial completion' (depending on the council).

I was wondering if the “completion” highlighted in section 40 and the “substantial works” highlighted below in section 42 of the act are the same as the “substantial completion” defined above. In other words achieving substantial completion in the period of planning suffices to satisfy planning then leaving you no statutory timeline to achieve actual completion.

It seems unlikely such an open ended loophole exists but I have met a few people who believe it is. Care to weigh in.

(apologies for leaving in the full sections but I though it would save researching)

40.—(1) Subject to subsection (2), a permission granted under this Part, shall on the expiration of the appropriate period (but without prejudice to the validity of anything done pursuant thereto prior to the expiration of that period) cease to have effect as regards—

(a) in case the development to which the permission relates is not commenced during that period, the entire development, and

(b) in case the development is commenced during that period, so much of the development as is not completed within that period.

(2) (a) Subsection (1) shall not apply—

(i) to any permission for the retention on land of any structure,

(ii) to any permission granted either for a limited period only or subject to a condition which is of a kind described in section 34 (4)(n),

(iii) in the case of a house, shop, office or other building which itself has been completed, in relation to the provision of any structure or works included in the relevant permission and which are either necessary for or ancillary or incidental to the use of the building in accordance with that permission, or

(iv) in the case of a development comprising a number of buildings of which only some have been completed, in relation to the provision of roads, services and open spaces included in the relevant permission and which are necessary for or ancillary or incidental to the completed buildings.

(b) Subsection (1) shall not affect—

(i) the continuance of any use, in accordance with a permission, of land,

(ii) where a development has been completed (whether to an extent described in paragraph (a) or otherwise), the obligation of any person to comply with any condition attached to the relevant permission whereby something is required either to be done or not to be done.

(3) In this section and in section 42 , “the appropriate period” means—

(a) in case in relation to the permission a period is specified pursuant to section 41 , that period, and

(b) in any other case, the period of five years beginning on the date of the grant of permission

42.—(1) On application a planning authority shall, as regards a particular permission, extend the appropriate period, by such additional period as the authority considers requisite to enable the development to which the permission relates to be completed, if each of the following requirements is complied with—

(a) the application is in accordance with such regulations under this Act as apply to it;

(b) any requirements of, or made under, those regulations are complied with as regards the application;

(c) the authority is satisfied in relation to the permission that—

(i) the development to which the permission relates commenced before the expiration of the appropriate period sought to be extended,

(ii) substantial works were carried out pursuant to the permission during that period, and

(iii) the development will be completed within a reasonable time;

(d) the application is made prior to the end of the appropriate period.

(2) Where—

(a) an application is duly made under this section to a planning authority,

(b) any requirements of, or made under, regulations under section 43 are complied with as regards the application, and

(c) the planning authority does not give notice to the applicant of its decision as regards the application within the period of 8 weeks beginning on—

(i) in case all of the requirements referred to in paragraph (b) are complied with on or before the day of receipt by the planning authority of the application, that day, and

(ii) in any other case, the day on which all of those requirements stand complied with,

subject to section 246 (3), a decision by the planning authority to extend, or to further extend, as may be appropriate, the period, which in relation to the relevant permission is the appropriate period, by such additional period as is specified in the application, shall be deemed to have been given by the planning authority on the last day of the 8 week period.

(3) (a) Where a decision to extend an appropriate period is given under subsection (1), or, pursuant to subsection (2), such a decision is deemed to have been given, the planning authority shall not further extend the appropriate period, unless each of the following requirements is complied with—

(i) an application in that behalf is made to it in accordance with the regulations under section 43 ;

(ii) any requirements of, or made under, the regulations are complied with as regards the application;

(iii) the authority is satisfied that the relevant development has not been completed due to circumstances beyond the control of the person carrying out the development.

(b) An appropriate period shall be further extended under this subsection only for such period as the planning authority considers requisite to enable the relevant development to be completed.

(4) Particulars of any application made to a planning authority under this section and of the decision of the planning authority in respect of the application shall be recorded on the relevant entry in the register.

(5) Where a decision to extend, or further to extend, is given under this section, or, pursuant to subsection (2), such a decision is deemed to have been given, section 40 shall, in relation to the permission to which the decision relates, be construed and have effect subject to and in accordance with the terms of the decision.

Put simply if you have 90% of the works completed and the same percentage of the planning conditions complied with (excl. payment of development contributions) then that is substantial completion. But you do not have an indefinite timeframe to complete the outstanding works though.

If you have only a limited amount of works completed prior to the the expiry of the permission then you will have to apply for an extension of duration and if that is granted you cannot get another such extension.

Im assuming that the original grant of permission wasnt previously extended.

Back