Personal Liability with respect to being appointed a Care Representative

Alicia

i understand the care representative is the person who is responsible for repayment of the nursing home loan to the Revenue Commissioners. Does that mean they can be personally liable for this loan?

For example, HSE puts charge against the house, house burns down, house insurance had expired, then is care representative is liable?
Or
Family despute able selling the house to repay nursing loan and care representative unable to force sale then are they solely liable?

If you are, then to spread the liability, do families appoint more than one care representative?

Appreciate any advice you can offer or past experiences ..

When a person dies. if they have received care in a nursing home your first obligation is to inform the HSE. If your mother made no will a grant of administration will have to be taken out allowing the family to distribute the assets. The HSE will have first call on the money they are owed, your family will not be in a position to oppose a sale to pay back those monies.

You will have to make sure the house is insured to protect the asset.

As far as I know appointing one person to act as care rep is only for ease of administrating the scheme but it would be the family as a whole who would be liable for the debt to the HSE

The HSE will get a charge on the property and the payment will be requested from revenue after death. They have one year to receive payment without any interest and they will be charged after that. I believe irishmoss is correct in they can force the sale to get the monies owed.

Back