Pension entitlements when leaving the public sector

Chris

Hi all,
my wife has been working as a fully qualified nurse for the past 8 years and during that time she has been employed by the Health Boeard/HSE, and payed into her public pension.
Without trying to start a duscussion on the current issues with the HSE, she has decided it is time to leave the mayhem and madness she can be subjected to and work for a private hospital, until maybe one day a HSE hospital becomes a workable option again.
The overall salary and benefits package in the private hospital are very competitive, but she will of course not be entitled to the public pension. The private hospital will contribute some amount to a pension, so she'll be setting up and maxing out a PRSA once she starts in the private sector.
The question I have is, if she decided she didn't want to return to the HSE again during her working carreer, what would her entitlements be when she retires and on what salary would the public pension payments be based?

Hope someone can help.
Thanks,

Chris

Assuming full pension is 40 years service, your wife is entitled to 20% of her full entitlements, i.e. 8 years / 40 years. Her salary for assessment will be the salary she left on, but it will be increased every time her grade gets an increase.

If your wife works for the HSE, there is a ready reckoner on the internal hse intranet where she can input her current salary, age, PRSI status, years of service, expected work frequency ie full time etc and get a estimated pension.

All staff should have access on their pcs.
It is only available on the internal HSE intranet so it is not possible to show address or link here.

Back