Penalty Points for use of Mobile Phone.

clareG

My daughter has just received 2 penalty points for speaking on the mobile whilst driving. She was not stopped so am I correct in thinking that the Gardai take pictures of motorists to prove this. I thought you had to be stopped and cautioned in person for this offence. She was totally unaware of this until the note came through the door. How can this be proven in court if they do not have a photo?

In any case they cant just issue two penalty points as you have the right to go to court. Have they actually issued points or just a notice to pay a fine and accept the points?

i was stopped by gardai mistaking for sturning left from right hand land in order to skip queue...but it was the car in front..he nearly giving me a ticket as i said thats not me...at the end he make me take a right turn and i have to end up go around the whole estate..for his mistake!

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/the_full_list_of_offences.php (Seems that way alright.)

You can contact the address/number on the letter and ask to see the photo - if they have one they'll post it out.

Just learned that there is no photo relating to penalty points for use of mobile phone in this case. At least with the speed cameras you get a photo of the reg of the car. It would appear it is the Guards work against the person and I just wonder how long it will be before one of these ends up in the High Court. My daughter wont go to court she intends just paying as she would feel intimitated by the whole court thing. Silly or wise?

If she wasnt using the phone at the time surely she can easily prove it by producing her phone bill. Just an opinion

On a hyper technacality, the amount is reduced if you don't go, as opposed to vice versa. It is an important point however as constitutionally state could not increase a penalty for merely availing of you right to go to court.

IF she oges to count and judgement goes against her, do they double the points ??

Back