PCP and mortgage fixed rate ending - want to upgrade home

TEIODT

Personal details

Spouse’s/Partner's age: 45

Number and age of children: 0

Income and expenditure
Annual gross income from employment or profession: 42500
Annual gross income of spouse: 60000

Monthly take-home pay: Paid weekly €568 after deductions. Partner varies each month with commission etc. We operate separate bank accounts

Type of employment: e.g. Civil Servant, self-employed - Employee private sector

In general are you:
(a) spending more than you earn, or
(b) saving?

Saving a variable amount each month. Aim is €1000 minimum but is very much dependent on bills, incidentals incurred in the month as to the final end of month sum.

Summary of Assets and Liabilities
Family home worth €450K with a €205K mortgage
Cash of €25k
Defined Contribution pension fund: Recently started contributions 15% myself, 5% my employer

Family home mortgage information
Lender Bank of Ireland
Interest rate 3%
If fixed, what is the term remaining of the fixed rate? Fixed rate ends August

(No need to tell us the monthly repayments or what term is left)

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc
PCP for car paying €345 per month with term ending July 2023
Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month? Yes however the savings amount may be reduced as a result of this!!
If not, what is the balance on your credit card?

Buy to let properties - N/A

Other savings and investments:

Do you have a pension scheme? Yes with approx 6 months contributions
Partner has been contributing to a pension for some time he is unsure of the current value of the fund. He contributes 5% and is matched by employer. He says he is increasing the amount next month onwards

Do you own any investment or other property? No

Other information which might be relevant

Life insurance:
For me Mortgage Protection only.
Partner Mortage protection, death in service lump sum of €100K plus three times salary

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?

Any advice is much appreciated.
I have spent my 30's working in a family business that was a disasterous career move.

I sacrificed my career, pay increases bonuses etc with a view that the business would eventually be passed on. A very difficult situation developed and I had to make the decision to walk away. I have therefore missed out on career progression and salary increases in that period.

I am now trying to get back on track financially.
We have not had kids and are unsure if this will happen at this stage of life.

We have lived in our home for approx 10 years and are getting to the point where improvements are required. We are estimating a spend of approximately €50K which we are hoping to incorporate in a new mortgage amount when the fixed rate expires this Summer.

We are considering starting an investment fund allocating a Direct Debit payment each month of €400 as opposed to a lumpsum commitment.

We are at a crossroads in a lot of aspects of life and really need any guidance or advice as to how we progress financially from here. Are we mad to consider the investment fund? I would like to maintain a lumpsum of €25K in savings and once our remortgage is sorted start to overpay the mortgage.

We are open to any advice, experience direction you can offer.

Thanks in advance!!

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc
PCP for car paying €345 per month with term ending July 2023

Cash of €25k

My first question is what happens when the PCP is finished? How much will it cost to get ownership of the car?

If you don't want to buy the car, you will presumably need the finance to buy another one.

To keep all your options open, you should aim to have the cash available to buy the PCP car or buy another one for cash.

Brendan

Last edited:
We are considering starting an investment fund allocating a Direct Debit payment each month of €400 as opposed to a lumpsum commitment.

This doesn't make a lot of sense.

You will need the money in the next year or so to fund your extension or buy your car. Investing for a short term makes little sense for two reasons
1) The initial costs may not be covered by the annual return
2) A short term investment may fall by 30% or more meaning you would have to borrow more.

I would like to maintain a lumpsum of €25K in savings and once our remortgage is sorted start to overpay the mortgage.

Why?

You have two jobs. Your income exceeds your expenditure.
You are effectively borrowing €25k @3% to have a lump sum available.

You should build up cash to pay for your car and for your extension. But you should not borrow €50k just so you can keep a safety net of €25k.

It would be much nicer to do your repair work to your house without needing to ask the bank.

Brendan

Recently started contributions 15% myself,

I am a big fan of pension schemes, but given your need for cash in the coming year, you should not contribute any more than is required by your employer.

When you have your home and car sorted, then start maxing your contributions.

Brendan

This doesn't make a lot of sense.

You will need the money in the next year or so to fund your extension or buy your car. Investing for a short term makes little sense for two reasons
1) The initial costs may not be covered by the annual return
2) A short term investment may fall by 30% or more meaning you would have to borrow more.
Hi Brendan,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. The idea is being floated as a long term commitment and a monthly D/D contribution as opposed to lump sum. It would be in addition to our savings each month.

In relation to the car I am unsure if I will buy it outright or arrange a another car PCP. If we make the decision to buy outright it will be from savings

The idea is being floated as a long term commitment and a monthly D/D contribution as opposed to lump sum. It would be in addition to our savings each month.

You should not make any such commitment.

With any surplus, you should either pay down your mortgage or contribute to a pension scheme.

You should not be borrowing money to invest which is what you are doing when you have a mortgage and investments at the same time.

Brendan

Back