patenting ideas

Killter

Hi All

A friend has a design for a new ergomonic keyboard-he's a software writer and was wondering how he should develop the idea into a shot of getting a supplier to take up the idea.

We were thinking to get it patented first in EU and US but up to that we're at a blank!

This type of thing is new to both of us.

Its a simple design and won't much designing at all.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any suggestions would be great-Thanks.

I had a patent during a stint in the US - it is a very lengthy, legalistic process. Legal fees were equivalent (company had it's own lawyers!) to $10k, and this was 14 years ago. Never having gone through the process outside of a multinational, I would not have any advice except to be prepared to spend megabucks on fees - there are plenty of people to "help" you with this.
Hi All

A friend has a design for a new ergomonic keyboard-he's a software writer and was wondering how he should develope the idea into a shot of getting a supplier to take up the idea.
We were thinking to get it patented first in EU and US but up to that we're at a blank!This type of thing is new to both of us.
Its a simple design and won't much designing at all.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any suggestions would be great-Thanks.

You should investigate the costs of patenting first. A patent lawyer will also be required. You should seek an iitial meeting with a patent lawyer and get there gut reaction if its worth proceeding.

You could get it prototyped by having a 3D cad model drawn and a rapid prototype produced. PM me if you need contacts for rapid protyping companies

Back