Ownership of Land not taken in charge

B

Boru

I moved into a 5 house development that was built in 1980. The development actually contains 6 sites, 5 of which have been developed. The original developers are now non-existent and since 1980 the residents have all been 'chipping in' to maintain the private road and the remaining site. It was the original intent for the private road and the non-developed site to be taken in charge by the local authority but this has never happened. It was a condition of sale that we agree to split the costs of maintaining these spaces. We (the 5 residents) have got together and now feel that we would like to develop the site but we realise none of us have any title to the land. The question is - who owns the site? Is it the state, the local authority or can we as the residents claim ownership? Thoughts from anyone would be welcome.

I could be wrong, but if the original developer is non existant, ie liquidated, then the land is owned by IRELAND. If the estate is taken in charge, it reverts to local authority.

Unfortuately, this type of situation is common in Ireland today and local authorities are slow to take over estates, although by law they must. I am in the same boat, but waiting 16 years for them to take over our little demense.

Back