Orthodontic treatment - good value to start it in the U.S. ??

dubinamerica

We're moving back to good old Ireland in a few short weeks (about 10) and my daughter is due to get braces reasonably soon. The orthodontist said I could wait til we move to Ireland or I could have her start hear and continue back in Ireland but he thought that might work out expensive.. I think that dental care is still very expensive back home so it might be worth getting the records (mould) done here and get the braces on and then continue.
Anyhow - the quote I've gotten for the FULL treatment would be
------------------------------------------------------------------------
$350 Records Fee
------------------------------------------------------------------------
$3,600 TOTAL FEE FOR TREATMENT EXCLUDING RECORDS
This would break down normally as:
1152 Down payment
2448 subtotal
Benefits of appox $1350 due to dental insurance
so 1098 balance due over the course of treatment (24 months)
As we'd only be here for another two months we'd end up paying
$350 Records Fee
$1152 Down payment
and $45.75 for each visit..
so for a total of approx $1600 i.e. Euro 1250 she'd get braces and 2 visits..
---------
MY QUESTION is .. does this seem to be good value ? If we went privately back home to get braces done any idea of the cost for this ?? Has anyone ideas on the cost of just orthodontic visits (she would obviously need those follow ups for a couple of years after we move ) .. I'm trying to figure if it would work out better value to have her started her or just wait .. Any thoughts?
Also - how is the public orthodontic programs ? I remember them being awful with long waiting lists - any ideas ?
If anyone can recommend an orthodontist please message me .. I can phone up directly to get some quotes.
THANK YOU !!!!

Hi,

Sorry I can't offer you too much advice other than to say we have had many previous threads on AAM regarding dental treatment and you may find something helpful/useful in this search

This link on explains about orthodontic treatment for children under the public schemes.

You may find something useful here also

Hope the move goes well :)

My sons treatment cost €4000 in total. This was payable in 6 monthly instalments (over 2 yrs). Think there was a cost for the first visit but can't remember. He didn't want to get any teeth out so his treatment involved, wearing braces first and having to wear headgear at night to make room for teeth, then he got traintracks fitted and has had them for nearly a year now. The improvement is great though he can't wait to get them off! no chewing gum, etc He goes back for a visit every two months and if there is any problems in between you can just ring up. Also at the end of the year you can claim back tax using the Med 1 form.

If you go public your daughter will probably be waiting forever. You might be better to wait and have all the work done by a private Orthodontist in Ireland. It would probably cost €4000 (less Tax rebate) but for the amount of work they do and the number of visits it's pretty good value. Your daughter may also be required to have work done by a dentist and a periodontist. The periodontist is very expensive, my wife paid €150 for a visit and €590 for some gum work, at least a highway robber has the decency to wear a mask and brandish a pistol.

Thank you for the feedback. I have read up a little on the public orthodontist route and it's really a no-go from what I can see. I plan on going the private route to make sure that she's not waiting for years. Seeing as I have private dental here I can pay out the equivalent of 900 euro to get the braces on for her.. I've phoned a couple of places and spoke to one receptionist but they couldn't give any indication (even high level) for a quote on 24 months of follow up visits (assuming every 6-8 weeks).. I'm not sure if it will end up costing me more if I start it now and transition, versus just waiting til I get home. I guess if I could get the follow up visits for 3,000 euro or less it would be worth it plus it means she's sorted out now before we move - so it doesn't get put on the long finger amidst the craziness.
Does anyone know of people that have transitioned their orthodontic care from outside of Ireland into Ireland ? Any idea on cost for each visit ? If anyone can recommend an orthodondist I'd appreciate it and I can make some calls... thanks !!

my son needed braces a few years ago. was quoted £1,800 for braces and about 24 monthly check ups. was able to claim back £1,700@42%
so not as expensive as first appeared. Also orthodontist wanted to charge £100 per month but it worked out better paying the whole lot off in 1 go and getting the tax back straight away in 1 lump. I cant remember his name but his address was either park street or dublin street dundalk. so this is unlikely to be of benefit.

Back