Opening French Deposit Acc

I've been reading a good bit about the Belgian banking scene and apparently it's very unhealthy at the moment.

Does anyone know of any other EU banks who offer accounts in English/online?

It may be unhealthy, but notihng like our own here in ireland and its still guarenteed up to 100k.

I reckon i'll open a keytrade account. I know nothing is safe, but i'll spread my money across a few banks.

Id love to open a Dutch Rabo account, but that doesnt seem possible without an address there.

I have a french bank account.
They required me to have a french address.
My landlord required me to have a french bank account to provide my address.
Bit of a vicious cycle but we got over it, when the landlord and the bank spoke directly.

I'm not 100% sure about this but I *think* you might have to pay tax on the capital in your account according to french tax law.
You would need to check this out if you were planning to deposit a large amount.

The interest rates in french banks is VERY low.

I struggled to get my account in our joint names.
They were pretty insistant on it being M et Mme John Smith
(All my ID is in my "maiden" name...never changed it)

Eventually 3 cheque books later I got Mary Moore et John Smith.

You have to declare these accounts in your tax returns.

All correspondance comes in french. My french is pretty good, but some of the letters about tax stuff is impenetrable.

Why not use National Irish Bank or Rabobank (i.e. Danske Bank)?

Bricks and mortar branches here in Ireland and the benefits of other countries' deposit protection schemes.

The National Irish Bank since 1st October is guaranteed solely by the Irish deposit scheme, not the Danish.

Back