Opening bank account in USA

Lubo1967

Can anyone tell me how to open a bank account with a US bank ?, anyone experience with these ...

Since the introduction of The Patriot Act you will have to present yourself physically at the Bank to get an account opened, I'm unaware of any other way to get one opened remotely, sorry.

Thanks PaleRider, Ciaran,

I am looking for US Bank Account, I know InvestTec have US Dollar account ....

It's possible in certain cases if you are an existing customer of an American bank in Ireland and are prepared to place a large sum on deposit here that they may facilitate you. However the chances are you will also need a US Social Security number.

As Palerider said above, you must present yourself physically in the branch. And you do need a US Social Security number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. Also, you need to be absolutely sure that you aren't breaking US Federal or Irish tax laws. It's very easy for a US bank account to get frozen if the tax information relating to it isn't kept up to date. You should only open a bank account with a US bank if you are resident in the US, and are up to date with your federal tax returns. If you live in Ireland, US Dollar accounts can be facilitated by Irish banks, my personal preference would be to use AIB.

Thanks Lads, need to do more work on this ... will get back to you if I have anything productive ..

You need to be in the US to open a bank account, but you don't need to be a citizen or resident. You can do it just as a tourist (my case). The only thing is that you need to give them a US address. In my case, my cousin lives there so we wrote down her address and my bank account is from Bank of America. I can manage it through the Internet, and withdraw money in my country, without any problems.

Back