Only e800 in fund ,20 years to go

vandriver

My wife paid approx 2,500 euro into a pension fund with Ark life 10 years ago which is now worth e800 and falling.
As I realise she can not cash in the pension,is there anything to be done to stop Ark life nibbling away at whats left so that there will be no actual amount left in 20 ish years?

What sort of charges apply/applied? In particular what portion of the original €2.5K was actually invested after charges? Was this a once off lump sum investment or did it involve ongoing contributions? What is it invested in? What sort of pension is it - private/personal, employer scheme etc.? There may be some options to transfer it to another scheme or buy out bond etc. but it really depends on the specifics of the situation.

It is a personal pension (gross).Started in 1999 and stopped paying in about 2 years later .Premiums paid 2590,gross value 864.
As to any of your other questions,the statement gives no information about anything.

I wonder if this was back in the days when huge front loaded charges were common/the norm - e.g. first few months' or even years' contributions disappearing totally on charges? So I'm wondering how much of the €2.5K odd was actually invested. There must be some documentation available that clarifies the setup/front loaded and ongoing (management fees etc.) charges? If not then ask the pension provider/broker/underwriter. Any front loaded charges that were levied are gone now so nothing that can be done about them. It would be worth looking at the ongoing (management fee) charges and fund options. I can't recall what, if any, options there are for transferring personal pensions from one provider to another but I'm sure that this stuff is covered elsewhere on AAM or on the Pensions Board website etc.

http://www.pensionsboard.ie

Back