Online insurance

I rang AXA and asked them why they were quoting me €800 but 123 were quoting me €290. for the same insurance. He said that 123 are using a company called AXA Broker. I rang AXA Broker and I was told that they do a fair bit of business with 123. So I really don't know about AXA U.K. and whether AXA Broker is anything to do with them. Is AXA U.K. insurance valid in Ireland?

AXA Broker are just the broker sales channel of AXA. It's common for insurance companies to have different channels, i.e. direct sales, brokers, tied agents and although they may all sell the same products, there may be different rates and offers available through each channel. Nothing unusual there.

The whole AXA UK thing, I don't know that it's relevant. People have been worried about products offered by 123.ie before because they were underwritten by UK based companies. However, I would doubt that 123.ie are selling cover that is not applicable in the Irish market.

To allay any concerns you have, firstly go to 123.ie and see what they say, and if it is a UK company who are providing the cover, call the Financial Regulator and see what they have to say on the matter.

Back in the early 70's as a new driver I was looking around for cheap car insurance. I noticed an advert in the paper offering cheaper car insurance. The company was based in a rented office in an industrial estate just off the S.C.R. in Dublin. It was basically a guy sitting behind a desk in a fairly spartan office taking money and issuing insurance certificates. I was very suspicious contacted the fraud squad who paid them a visit. The whole thing was a scam. The next day it was headlines in the Evening Herald.
Ever since that day I am careful about insurance. I have also learned a valuable lesson...sell your story to the newspaper before the gardai!

Well have been around for a number or years now and are regulated here in Ireland.

If you are that concerned about them, why just not go with one of the other quotes? I don't think anyone will be able to fully allay any concerns you have on this issue.

Of course there is no harm in being cautious-i.e. if it looks too good to be true etc.

I think 123.ie are fine - they're an Irish based broker that has a good online presence.

Another good online irish broker is bestquote.ie.

I did my car insurance with them - they're actually based in Wexford.

Back