Oil central heating

PauloMN

I'm considering buying a house that's probably around 25 to 30 years old. The heating is oil fired central heating. I noticed the tank was steel and looks (to me - no clue about these things though) like it needs replacing (quite rusty). The boiler looks pretty dated as well.

As a very rough guide, assuming I need to replace the tank and boiler, how much should I put aside for this? Are the new oil boilers much more efficient and would it be worth replacing an old one even if the old one if functioning ok?

Any tips/pointers would be appreciated!

If the metal tank is showing signs of rust, and has been poorly maintained it will need treating or replacing. As for the older boiler, yes with correct boiler sizing and selection coupled with installing time and temperature controls for zoning your heating system, you could be looking at up to 30-35% reduction in heating costs (you would also qualify for a €700 sei grant)

As for specific costs, you will really need someone to see what is required (not really more than €3000 assuming the tank replacement is straight forward and bunding is not required, and the ch pipework etc is ok)

Look for a good recommended installer in your area, maybe even look for Oftec registration

Thanks for the reply, makes sense. Would the BER cert for the house outline in any detail the current system and recommendations i.e. would the information about the boiler and recommended replacements be given in the BER report?

Not sure if they will recommend the course of action or just list the efficiency of what you have, you'd need to ask the BER engineer

Back