Offset losses against gains within same etf

So does this mean that if you bought an etf monthly for 12 months and sell all together you can just get the average cost of purchase , get the sale price and pay 41% of any gains?
I don't think so.
(a) each monthly investment has a different 8 year anniversary date and (b) you don't only report and pay the tax on disposal but every 8 years even if you keep holding them.
If it's as easy as that , why do people complain so much about etf reporting
Because it's hassle (see above and try to rember what investments you made 8 years ago) and the tax is onerous compared to CGT treatment of equities.

I don't think so.
(a) each monthly investment has a different 8 year anniversary date and (b) you don't only report and pay the tax on disposal but every 8 years even if you keep holding them.

Because it's hassle (see above and try to rember what investments you made 8 years ago) and the tax is onerous compared to CGT treatment of equities.
Yes but my question is if you just bought every month for 12 months and then sold them all in the 13th month

Yes but my question is if you just bought every month for 12 months and then sold them all in the 13th month
In that case - yes - you would do as you outlined.
But investing in an ETF for an average of 6 months is not a very prudent investment strategy.
Like any stock market instrument, your investment timeframe really should be much longer than that.

Back