Nursing Home Support Scheme (Fair Deal)

Brown Eyes

My mother has been in a home since May of 2013.

My brother dealt with the Nursing Home Support Scheme forms and we got the assistance in August or September 2013 (I don't have the paperwork).

The house was not sold, nor is it being rented, I'm still living in it; I was her carer before she went into the home and the house is my only residence.

Thing is they've been taking the percentage of the value of her property the whole time and she's now nearly bankrupt.

I thought the value of the house percentage was a deferred payment?

I've asked my brother to go back into the office to speak to them about this and he refused to as he's under the delusion that she can continue to pay over €1,500 a month (she can't).

I don't know what to do about it...

Can anyone advise?

t.i.a.

Thing is they've been taking the percentage of the value of her property the whole time and she's now nearly bankrupt.

I thought the value of the house percentage was a deferred payment?

It is only deferred if you opt for it, sounds like it was decided not to avail of this option and pay this part of your mother’s contribution rather than deferring it.

After 3 years, which in this case will be some time this year, the family home will be disregarded in the assessment and your mother’s contribution should then drop substantially.

If your mother’s savings have been used to partly fund the current €1,500 monthly payment, these savings are probably a lot less now than when she was originally assessed in 2013, an application should be made to have your mother’s contribution reassessed, this would further reduce her monthly payment.

If your brother dealt with the application then he is probably aware of the above, so possibly is not delusional.

It is only deferred if you opt for it, sounds like it was decided not to avail of this option and pay this part of your mother’s contribution rather than deferring it.

Thanks for the reply :)

I asked my brother about this, and he was very vague about it...he's under the delusion that money in the bank stays in the bank forever so her savings would continue to pay for her care indefinitely. He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

If your mother’s savings have been used to partly fund the current €1,500 monthly payment, these savings are probably a lot less now than when she was originally assessed in 2013, an application should be made to have your mother’s contribution reassessed, this would further reduce her monthly payment.

Her savings are gone now, which is why I asked my brother to go back to the office to sort it out, but he refused to as he thinks she's got several thousand Euros in the bank. 32 months @ €1,500 comes to €48,000 and she didn't have anything like that much in the bank in the first place. Her monthly pensions comes to around €1,100 (depending on the exchange rate as her pensions come from the UK), so no she can't afford €1,500 a month, but he can't seem to work that out for himself...

If your brother dealt with the application then he is probably aware of the above, so possibly is not delusional.

I didn't ask him to assist me in the application for the Fair Deal thing, my mother's GP contacted him and he sorted it out per her request. He doesn't have PoA, nor do I but as I was her carer, I'm recognised as her next of kin and am supposed to be responsible for her finances etc. but like I said mother's GP took matters into her own hands, I told her I didn't need or want my brother's help, but she ignored me and got in contact with my brother herself and the next thing I know he's made the application and dissed me off when I asked him about it...

Yes, we put the "fun" in dysfunctional.

Back